Topic: Oboe d'amore reed dimensions

What are typical dimensions for an oboe d'amore reed? I am especially interested in American style reeds.

Jean-Marc Larsen
1830 du Lac
St-Bruno, QC J3V 4B3
Canada

Re: Oboe d'amore reed dimensions

When I bought a new oboe d'amore a few months ago, I found that I knew very little about the reeds.  After buying 18 shaped canes for it, I proceeded to crack about 2/3 of them in the reed making process.  It seems likely that the tube cane diameters that these canes came from were for oboe canes, thus making it easier to crack them than oboe canes.  The gouge thicknesses for these oboe d'amore canes were found to be the same as for oboe canes.  I also tried english horn shaped cane and found that reeds could be made from it by sanding down the thickness to about 0.65 mm and by sanding the sides some.  Now, I have about 8 reeds, all about 49 to 50 mm long, which seem to play quite well.  The scrape is like an American oboe scrape and the wire is number 34, 0.009 inch diameter, two turns about 3 or 4 mm from the thread.  Too thick a wire(number 24, for example) gave tuning problems for me.  In the future, I'll probably use EH cane even if I buy a d'amore shaper.  Good luck on your reeds!

Re: Oboe d'amore reed dimensions

The different staples manufactured for oboe d'amore fit over the bocal with varying amounts of overlap.  As a result, it is more useful to measure the length of cane above the tie than to measure the overall length of the blank reed including staple.  I have been using a set-up of between 23-24 mm above the tie for the finished reed, using a shape which is a very large, unidentified oboe shape given to me by a teacher years ago.  (It is a little wider than a Loree 2 oboe shape.)  It is tied on the staple using EE thread (hence, more turns) with about 4-5 turns after the sides appear to close.  My best reeds have used the Mark Chudnow d'amore staples, in either silver or gold.  These staples are a little longer than the glotin ones, with more overlap over the bocal.  I choose cane with a radius of 10.75-11, and I use the same thickness gauge as I use on oboe (@58), with a graf gauger.  I try to avoid wiring the reeds, but might add wire after they are somewhat worn down to support the opening and deter further overlap slippage.  These proportions work on both of my d'amores -- one is Loree and one is Marigaux.

chester

Last edited by chester (2006-09-17 05:27:11)