Topic: Grover Schiltz, EH, Chicago Symphony

Friends,

I just received sad news from Delmar that Grover Schiltz, longtime English hornist of the Chicago Symphony, has passed away. Delmar is traveling and will post more details as soon as he is able.

Amy

Re: Grover Schiltz, EH, Chicago Symphony

I (Tom Hall) have just been informed of the passing of Grover Schiltz, former CSO oboe and English horn player and a member of the CSOAA Governing Board. The following information is provided by CSO archivist Frank Villella. Additional information will be forwarded as it becomes available.

Tom Hall
I have just been informed of the passing of Grover Schiltz, former CSO oboe and English horn player and a member of the CSOAA Governing Board. The following information is provided by CSO archivist Frank Villella. Additional information will be forwarded as it becomes available.

Tom Hall

It is with great sadness that I bring to you news of the passing of Grover Schiltz, a former member of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra’s oboe section as well as principal english horn. He was 80.

A native of Aurora, Illinois, Grover began oboe studies with Robert Mayer, a member of the CSO’s oboe section and principal english horn. After receiving a bachelor’s degree in music from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, he spent several summers at Tanglewood and played in military bands while in the U.S. Army. Before joining the CSO in 1959, Grover performed with the Civic Orchestra of Chicago (studying with CSO Principal Oboe Ray Still) and also played in the Lyric Opera of Chicago Orchestra and the Grant Park Symphony. Between 1956 and 1959, he toured with the Boston Pops Orchestra, played with the Saint Louis Sinfonietta, and was first oboe of the Kansas City Philharmonic for three years.

Grover served in the Chicago Symphony Orchestra for forty-six years, from 1959 until his retirement in 2005. He was assistant principal oboe from 1959 until 1964 and also principal english horn from 1964 until 2005.

Grover also was active in numerous chamber music ensembles in the Chicago area including the Chicago Symphony Winds. He taught oboe and baroque performance practice at Northwestern University, the University of Illinois at Chicago, and Roosevelt University.

An avid collector of nomadic rugs, corkscrews, and ceramics, he shared his interests and hobbies with his beloved wife Beverly, a double bass player and music librarian. Grover and Beverly have bred show dogs, including Pembroke Welsh corgis and dachshunds, and have finished numerous champions over the years. Grover also was an avid photographer and gourmet cook, and he was an active member of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra Alumni Association board of directors.

Services will be private and a memorial will be planned for the spring.

Re: Grover Schiltz, EH, Chicago Symphony

Here is his obituary in the Chicago Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertain … 539.column