Topic: Reed makers

Posts from several years ago described my experience with the Baroque oboe very accurately. I dearly wanted to play the instrument but hated my reeds, and finally gave up. I now have the time to try again, but still haven't found the key to making my own baroque reeds, there are no other baroque oboists around for help, and the reeds I've purchased from the maker have not been very helpful.

Please, is there anyone out there who knows a player who also makes and sells good reeds?

Re: Reed makers

Lots of views, but no one knows news? Perhaps thoughts on another avenue where I might find someone?

Yea, I gotta a reply! Thank you.

I have tried reeds from Marsha Taylor and Kerry. Unfortunately, I had no luck with Marsha's. Kerry sent me two. The first one was okay, the second was very different and I could not play it well. He was very helpful and tried to fix the second to match the first, he even emialed me audio samples, but it didn't help. I figured the first one was the exception, and his reeds and I just weren't compatible.

And yes, if I had the time and finances to invest and drive several hours and pay for lessons or attend workshops, that would be the best. Unfortunately, I already have two jobs - one as a professional "modern" oboist which pays some of the bills and another full-time which pays the rest. (With a little left over to support my Baroque recorder playing.)

I was hoping to cheat a little, find someone who would appreciate some money for their time and effort making reeds. And if they worked, I could continue purchasing them, or use the reeds themselves as a model for making my own, at my own pace when I have the opportunity.

There was a time when I was in a horrific reed slump, when this actually worked very well for me with modern reeds. I was just hoping it could jump-start my baroque oboe playing as well.

Have you tried the reeds from KREEDO, and if so what was your experience? (I'm looking also)

Tom ,

No, I haven't tried KREEDO. From the website, they look profiled or machine made. In my years of oboe playing and teaching, I've had absolutely no success with machine made modern oboe reeds. I'm not sure I'd have any better luck with these. If you feel brave and try them, I would love to hear your experience.

Have you tried the Taylor or Kerry's? They were hand made and looked like the makers spent some time on them. They just didn't work for me.

Thanks for the reply!