Double Reed Online
The latest news and event announcements from around the double reed world.
Announcing the 2014 Fernand Gillet-Hugo Fox International Competition for Bassoon, to be held at the IDRS Conference at New York University and open to oboists who have not reached their 31st birthday before the date of the final audition, August 8, 2014. Applications will be accepted from January 1st, 2014 to March 15th, 2014. Details are available in the .pdf file below and more information can be obtained at http://www.idrs.org/competitions.
Please contact Peter Kolkay, Competition Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Announcing the 2014 Young Artist Competition for Oboe, to be held at the IDRS Conference at New York University and open to oboists who have not reached their 22nd birthday by the final round of the competition, August 7th, 2014. Applications will be accepted from January 1st, 2014 to March 15th, 2014. Details are available in the .pdf file below and more information can be obtained at http://www.idrs.org/competitions.
Please contact Michele Fiala, Competition Chair at Michele@fiala.com with any questions.
The International Double Reed Society is pleased to announce the repertoire for the 33rd annual Fernand Gillet-Hugo Fox performance competition being held for bassoonists during the 2014 annual conference, held August 5-9 at New York University in New York, NY, USA. The competition is for bassoonists who have not reached their 31st birthday by the date of the final round of the competition (August 8, 2014). Application details will be available by January 1, 2014. Any questions can be addressed to Peter Kolkay, Competition Chair, at email@example.com.
- Antonio Vivaldi: Concerto in C major, RV 477/F. VIII No. 13/P. 46 (complete with repeats; any edition)
- Johann Nepomuk Hummel: Concerto in F major, movement 1 (for the preliminary-round recording please begin in measure 55, seven measures before the bassoon entrance; any edition)
- Henri Dutilleux: Sarabande et cortège (Leduc)
- Elliott Carter: Retracing for solo bassoon (Boosey and Hawkes)
The final round will consist of all of the above works, including the complete Hummel concerto. The winner of the competition will perform the Hummel concerto with orchestra at the Conference.
I am pleased to announce the repertoire for the 2014 Young Artist Oboe Competition. The repertoire for the 2014 IDRS Young Artist Oboe Competition was selected by Martin Schuring, Dan Stolper and Michele Fiala. It was announced at the General Meeting during the conference. The repertoire follows:
- CPE Bach Sonata in g minor for oboe and basso continuo, Wq 135, Breitkopf Edition, Movements One and Three (with repeats)
- Saint-Saens Sonata for Oboe, any edition (second and third movements)
- Antal Dorati Duo Concertante (second movement only)
- Parma, Raffaele “Potpourri on Themes of Rigoletto,” Spartan Press (Reserved for the finals)
Applications will close March 15th, 2014 and finalists will be announced by May 1st, 2014. More information will be posted in the future at www.idrs.org/competitions
1st Prize: Mingyuan Yang
2nd Prize: Thomas English
3rd Prize: Ben Roidl-Ward
1st Prize: Lin Qing
2nd Prize: Johannes Grosso
James Jihyun Kim
Semi and Final Rounds to be held at the 2014 MQVC Bassoon Symposium (three days of master classes and concerts open to all)
Hosts: Ben Kamins and Kristin Wolfe Jensen
Location: Round Top, Texas, USA
Dates: January 18 – 20, 2014
Women bassoon players who are citizens of the Americas (North America, Central America, South America), or who are enrolled in school in the Americas during the year prior to the competition and who will not have reached their 24th birthday by the competition in January of 2014.
- First Prize: US $9,000
- Second Prize: US $5,000
- Third Prize: US $2,000
- Two Honorable Mentions: US $1000 each
- Five Semi-Finalist Awards: US $500 each
- Antonio Vivaldi: Concerto in g minor, RV 495 (Op. 40, No. 20/P. 384/F VIII, No. 23/M 269). In the final round, the Vivaldi must be performed from memory
- Katherine Hoover: Journey
- Leslie Bassett: Metamorphoses (only movements 1, 2, 3, and 8 for the preliminary round)
- One additional piece for final round (chosen from the official Repertoire List)
The preliminary round of competition is conducted via recording. Physical or electronic submissions are due October 14, 2013.
For more information, including submission instructions, additional repertoire list, and Symposium details, please visit mqvc.org.
The Members of the 2013 Young Artist Competition for Bassoon Committee are pleased to announce the finalists of this year’s competition:
- Thomas English, USA
Teachers include Kara M. Stolle, Douglas Spaniol, George Sakakeeny
- Ben Roidl-Ward, GERMANY/USA
Teachers include Francine Peterson, George Sakakeeny
- Mingyuan Yang, CHINA/USA
Teachers include Wendy Rose, Te Xu, Jianzhong Zhao
- Jonathon Pearson Altizer, USA
Teachers include Sharon Kuster, Kristin Wolfe Jensen
- Naho Zhu, Japan/USA
Teachers include Patricia Rogers, Richard Ranti, Janet Underhill
The finalists will compete at the IDRS Conference on June 27 at University of Redlands in California, USA. The winner will perform a recital on June 28 and receive a cash prize of $3,000 US.
The Members of the YAC Committee and the Officers of the Executive Committee are deeply appreciative of the time, effort and expertise expended by the judging panel. Members of the panel were:
- Jeffrey Lyman: University of Michigan – Ann Arbor
- Marion Reinhard: Berlin Philharmonic Wind Quintet, La Scala Theater Orchestra, formerly of Berlin Philharmonic
- Rodion Tolmachev: Principal Bassoon Mariinsky Theatre; Winner 2008 Gillet-Fox Competition
The Members of the 2013 Fernand Gillet-Hugo Fox Competition for Oboe Committee are pleased to announce the finalists of this year’s competition:
- Nir Gavrieli, GERMANY
Student of Dudu Carmel, Diethelm Jonas, Nick Deutsch
- Johannes Grosso, FRANCE
Student of Jean Louis Capezzali, Jérôme Guichard
- Friederike Hulman, SWEDEN
Student of Prof. Dominik Wollenweber, Jacques Tys, David Walter
- James Jihyun Kim, USA
Student of John Mack, Elaine Douvas, Pedro Diaz, Stephen Taylor
- Lin Qing, SWITZERLAND/CHINA
Student of Jean-Louis Capezzali, Maurice Bourgue, Yiu Song Lam
- 1st Alternate – Juri Schmahl, GERMANY
Student of Clara Dent-Bogányi, Jacques Tys, Kai Frömbgen
- 2nd Alternate – Théophile Hartz, SWEDEN
Student of Christian Schmitt, Jean Louis Capezzali, Thomas Indermühle
The finalists will compete at the IDRS Conference on June 28 at University of Redlands in California, USA. The winner will perform the Concerto for Oboe in D minor by Lebrun on the final concert and receive a cash prize of $10,000 US.
The Members of the Gillet Committee and the Officers of the Executive Committee are deeply appreciative of the time, effort and expertise expended by the judging panel. Members of the panel were:
- Doris DeLoach, Professor of Oboe, Baylor University
- Hélène Devilleneuve, soloist and member of the ensembles 2E2M, Alternance, Itinéraire and Ictus à Bruxelles.
- Michael Henoch, Assistant Principal Oboe Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Professor of Oboe Northwestern University
- Celia Nicklin, Head of Oboe Studies at the Royal Academy
- Mark Ostoich, Professor of Oboe, University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music
The second competition of the Asian Double Reed Association for oboe and bassoon will be held in Taiwan from 19-22 December 2013. The competition will have three divisions, Elite (ages 18-30 by 21 December 2013), Senior (ages 15-17 by 21 December 2013) and Junior (ages 15 and under by 21 December 2013). The event is open to anyone within the international community, and will award prize money to both oboe and bassoon winners of each level. In addition, it will provide the opportunity for winners to perform a concerto with orchestra.
First prize: TWD150,000 ($5000 est.)
Second prize: TWD50,000 ($1,800 est.)
First prize: TWD20,000 ($700 est.)
Second prize: TWD15,000 ($500 est.)
First prize: TWD15,000 ($500 est.Z)
Second prize: TWD10,000 ($340 est)
Please click here to view the complete repertoire list for the competition. More details will be available soon.
第二届亚洲双簧协会双簧管及大管音乐比赛将于2013年12月19至22日在台湾嘉义市举行。赛程将分为三组 (报名年龄以2013年12月21日为分界)：菁英组, 年齡为18-30岁；青年组, 年齡为15-18岁；及青少年组, 年齡为15岁以下。参赛者不限国籍、种族、性别，均可申请报名参加比赛。双簧管及大管每组之优胜者将获得奖金，菁英组优胜者将有机会与交响乐团一齐合作演出协奏曲。
Translation by Dr. Shih-Han Chiu