Topic: Hello new bassoonist needing tips and help.

I'm 16 years old and have been playing the Bassoon since last year (high school) I really haven't had a great musical background I live in a lazy town filled with lazy people (talking about the student population) but not me, I don't want but NEED to become a pro at this instrument. Having no one to help me but myself (and hopefully some people on the web) what do you guys recommend starting with? I want to start from scratch, from the beginner I was last year. I know you're supposed to do long tones and scales but how exactly? I need the precise practice schedule for everyday Sunday through Saturday, thanks everyone I hope to be Klaus thunemann one day!

Re: Hello new bassoonist needing tips and help.

With this ambition it seems that you should consider enrolling at an arts high school such as Interlochen or Idyllwild.

David Husby
CIM '14

Re: Hello new bassoonist needing tips and help.

Is there anyway you can find a bassoon teacher?  Bassoon is a tough instrument to teach yourself because: 1) reeds - you really need a teacher to keep you in good reeds and teach you how to make and tweak them.  Playing on bad reeds is frustrating and makes learning good technique even harder  2) alternate fingerings - there are a lot and most methods don't cover them all  3) bassoon requires techniques (flicking, half-holes) not needed for other winds and some bassoon method books do not cover this material well  4)  last but not least, feedback - it is very hard to develop a good tone and technique without the guidance of a teacher.

I am not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, but I am suggesting you devote some of that energy toward finding a teacher, even if you can only see them occasionally.

Good luck!  With such determination and dedication I know you will do well.

"There are 2 means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer