Topic: Curly Cane

Hey All,

I've noticed in the process of drying and rewetting gouged cane, some pieces curl more than others.  I assume these were originally smaller diameter tubes.  Anyone notice a difference in finished reed as a result of how much the cane bows as it dries?

Re: Curly Cane

I haven't done any empirical studies, but I suspect the cane that does this will have a more open tip, at least initially, after it has been soaked. Once you play on it for 10 minutes the tip probably collapses down to normal. So you will probably have adjusted the wires to account for the tip opening.

I should pay more attention and mark the cane somehow on my current batch that I'm prepping. (You're one of only two people other than myself that does this to cane, although I don't shape or profile my own cane, so I do it at the GSP stage)

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Interesting observation about the tip opening, makes sense.  Yeah I like to wet and let dry then rewet because you can see in the gouge where the cane might rise/warp, and it seems to speed up later drying after forming, like the cane is more used to its new state.  Why do you like this step?

RustyBassoon wrote:

Interesting observation about the tip opening, makes sense.  Yeah I like to wet and let dry then rewet because you can see in the gouge where the cane might rise/warp, and it seems to speed up later drying after forming, like the cane is more used to its new state.  Why do you like this step?

Cane shrinks and changes dimensions slightly as it is soaked and is dried repeatedly. I figure, might as well do it as early in the process as possible, then when you're finishing the reed there is less variables in how the cane changes. At least somewhat.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds