Topic: Chudnow Staples

I've been trying the Chudnow staples, both the S and E shapes. Based on the few reeds I made so far with them, I like them. They seem to have a more focused sound. My problem is that I have a real battle getting them in and out of the oboe. The fit is very tight and without a cork, there's not much to hold on to. The E type is even worse than the S since the E has less to hold on to, but both are difficult. If I put the reed in at the wrong angle, I can not twist it to correct the orientation. I have to remove it (with much difficulty) and try again. Is this a common problem or am I missing something?

Re: Chudnow Staples

Hi Michael!  Seems like  every oboe's reed well is a little different - the Chudnow staples fit well in my Covey, but in my older Loree they slop around so much I can't use them.  I guess maybe you could replace your reed well, but other than that you're probably *stuck*.  sorry for the bad joke.

Darlene

While this won't help Michael, Darlene (and others with the problem of Chudnow staples fitting too loosely) should know that Mark will send you large-size O-rings that compensate for this, usually free of charge.

Jonathan Marzluf
Owner, Marzluf Reeds
SoCal Freelancer/Educator
www.marzlufreeds.com

Michael, I also find that these staples are a snugger fit.  Have you tried using cork grease or Vaseline on the O-rings?

When you wrap your reed, try wrapping farther down the staple... the extra thread might give you a better grip on the reed when you're inserting it into or removing it from your oboe.  I usually end up using more thread on the Chudnow E and S staples than I would use on a normal cork tube.

Andrew Nogal
oboe/English horn