Topic: Leather Bassoon Balance Hanger

Has anyone ever used the "Leather Bassoon Balance Hanger" sold by Forrests? (http://www.forrestsmusic.com/bassoon_straps.htm; scroll about half way down the page)

I bent my standard balance hanger and am considering this cheaper alternative. I use a BG Bassoon Harness when I play standing. Looking at the picture of the leather balance hanger on the Web site, I'm concerned the angled hook on my harness attached to the perpendicular ring on the balance hanger will torque the bassoon awkwardly. I'm also concerned the leather straps will interfere with the key mechanisms and possibly put pressure on the key posts, damaging my instrument.

"It's not my job to give you the pulse! It's your job to figure it out!"
-An Allegedly Professional Conductor

Re: Leather Bassoon Balance Hanger

Mine doesn't get in the way at all.  You don't have to tighten it to the point where it binds your keys/rods.

Ronnal Ford
DMA Oboe Performance '16
Multiple Woodwind Performance/Theory Cognate
Adjunct Professor, Guilford Tech & Forsyth Tech

I haven't use leather balance hanger ever because I'm sceptic about it. From picture I also imagine that pressure on key post will appear. Maybe it won't be as big to damage it but constant movements possible make mark on wood polish.

It's only thoughts, so someone who uses it can fix me.

Can't you get the balance hanger straightened if it only bent & not broken?

Ian White wrote:

Can't you get the balance hanger straightened if it only bent & not broken?

Yes, but I also tweaked the hole a little bit, so I suspect it will take half a day for my repairperson to fix it. Right now I just don't have that type of time. I was hoping to put off the repair until my annual maintenance at the end of this summer.

"It's not my job to give you the pulse! It's your job to figure it out!"
-An Allegedly Professional Conductor

I tried it for my Moosmann, and it didn't work. You thread the straps under the posts so they aren't being pressed upon, but once it was all strapped up, it still blocked some keys. Also, I found that it wasn't rigid enough, and as I stood, my instrument, would move or twist rogue as I played. I was having to exert a lot fo left-hand tension to keep it facing the direction It needed to face, which of course interfered. As I understand, these were designed for Fox bassoons, so depending on what you play, you may have better luck.