Topic: getting low D to speak

Hello!

I am having my usual trouble getting low D to speak softly.  I just discovered that by adding the low B key, I can produce a softer D without chirping at first.  Is this considered a legit alternate fingering?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Re: getting low D to speak

As long as it's in tune and it works, yes.
I also find that tapping my LH first finger down at the same time that I tongue helps.  Some flutists do this with their 3rd finger to get the lower notes to speak faster.

Ronnal Ford
DMA Oboe Performance '16
Multiple Woodwind Performance/Theory Cognate
Adjunct Professor, Guilford Tech & Forsyth Tech

Re: getting low D to speak

Yes I add the low B key (luckily I can uncouple my B-C link - a great feature on a Puchner Oboe).

Similar to Concertmaster3's suggestion, have you tried fingering a lower note, for instance a B and then lifting the finger off just before you play? The idea is that the movement releases any tension which may have built up while you were waiting for the downbeat (more in an orchestral situation but anytime really), and also that by fingering a lower note you may have lulled your embouchure into thinking it's actually going to play a lower note and will be better set up to get the D out. Useful for people with a B-C link who can't keep their B key on (or they'd get a B not a D!!).

May sound a bit wacky but I've used this method professionally on Dvorak 2nd oboe parts for over 20 years and it works for me!

Also I add my B key for D's and E's on the Cor anglais (English Horn!), especially useful at the start of Mahler's First Symphony where the EH has to slur from low E to bottom B - foolproof way to get that bottom B out beautifully.

I don't believe there is any such thing as a non-legit alternate fingering - whatever works for you!

Good luck!
Anna

www.wonderfulwinds.com

Last edited by Mallard (2011-07-10 14:56:04)