Topic: Ceramic knives?

Hi folks,

I'm a bassoonist just learning the fine art of oboe reedmaking.  I have the typically dull bassoonist's beveled knife and need a new one for my oboe tip work.  I've heard the new ceramic knives keep a very sharp edge for quite awhile.  Does anyone have an opinion on these?

Thanks for your help!
Heather Ainsworth-Dobbins

Re: Ceramic knives?

Hi Heather:

There are some opinions on Miller Marketing's web site here.  http://www.millermarketingco.com/kyocera/

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

More info http://www.doublereed.org/IDRSBBS/viewtopic.php?id=9524

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

I picked up a ceramic paring knife on eBay about 15 months ago.  Have used it regularly on my Bassoon reeds.  I did try making an oboe reed with it when it was new, and while it was plenty sharp, I didn't feel much feed back from the edge as it scraped the cane.  Currently I think that it is finally getting a little dull, even for Bassoon reeds, and I'll probably look to replace it soon...but for under $20 it has stayed sharp enough for Bassoon reedwork for over a year, and I like the curved blade for working in the channels.  IMO ceramic knives may be great, especially for beginners, but I don't feel they are the answer for oboe reedmaking.

Frank Watson
Greenville (SC) Symphony
Spartanburg Philharmonic
Converse College

Ceramic knives do work as reed knives.

However, ceramic knives are shaped to cut and slice, not to scrape. There is also no formation of a burr, which can cause some confusion.

Also be aware that any attempt to touch up the edge of a ceramic or reshape it for scraping requires the use of Diamonds or CBN. Almost all other sharpening equipment is rendered useless against the ceramics.

As a beginner, it may be worth playing with as an inexpensive introduction into reed making and adjusting. If it doesn't pan out, you always have a good ceramic paring knife for the kitchen! - You can't say that about a reed knife that doesn't work out for you! smile

Thanks for the replies, everyone!