Topic: Van Hoesen/Hunt Bassoon Profiler

Hello everybody!

My Army unit just purchased one of the Van Hoesen/Hunt bassoon profilers, available from Maine Tool Room for the 3 of us to use. We like the overall concept of the machine - it puts in a nice spine, tip opening is really good, etc, but the three of us have yet to produce any reeds we'd feel comfortable playing. The profiler comes set up so that the tip is approximately .07" thick, which is dramatically thinner than we're used to. Not only do we get falling E, but also falling F and D. We've tried several different brands of cane, a few different shapers, and we all bevel, yet we always achieve the same results.

Does anybody have any experience with this machine and have any advice? We tried adding shims to the tip to thicken it, but since it raises the cam, it also thickens the back. Someone suggested scotch tape at on the cam, which perhaps would work better at thickening the tip without raising the back. Anyways, thanks, in advance, and I look forward to your wise counsel.

Derek

Re: Van Hoesen/Hunt Bassoon Profiler

I just got the MD profiler and it is totally adjustable. It was only 600 dollars and I am very happy with it. I was reluctant to shell out that kind of money for something that didn't have that capability in spades. You could try scotch tape on the cams, but tape will compess over time. Your best bet is probably to have them make up a special template for you.

Hi Derek,

As a manufacturer of profiling machines, I would want my customers to contact me with any questions or concerns about the machines that I produce.  So my advice is to call the Maine Tool Room.

I understand that you are looking for a solution to the machine that you currently own and not a sales pitch, but if you find that you are unable to adjust the machine to your liking, I would be willing to offer one of my machines to you at a discount.  It is ideally suited for multiple users.  I was in the Army for 10 years and I am a veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom.  I would be honored to have the Army use one of my machines.  After all, the rear sight elevation knob on the M16 was inspiration for part of the design of my machine.

Best Regards,
Paul
MD Reed Products
http://www.mdreedproducts.com/

Derek, I actually just had a lesson with Mr. Hunt yesterday, having driven from Toronto to see him.
His reeds are very well made, and very different compared to what I've been used to playing, (Nadina Mackie Jackson's style)
Mr. Hunt uses a Van Hoesen shape, although I'm not sure exactly where he gets it from... I know that Reiger #13 is a Van Hoesen shape as well.
If you're using Van Hoesen dimensions for your reeds and they're flat, it means the reed is overall too large. A wider and longer shape needs more cane to be stable, so you might want to try a smaller shape. I took my Danzi Wide GSP cane and made it close to the dimensions of Van Hoesen, and it was unplayable. However, Hunt's much smaller reeds were very nice to play, although they surely would require some time to adjust to them.

My bassoon sig tongue
http://www.freewebs.com/thi13een/Arcanius_BassoonB%20copy.jpg

I will also vouch for the MD Reed Products bassoon profiler. It is an excellent machine, easily adjustable and well made. You can't go wrong! Good Luck! Charles McCracken