Topic: Ross Gouger

I wish to publicly thank Dan Ross for the excellent work he has done to make sure that my Ross gouger is in tip-top shape. He has been generous with his time and quite diligent. Dan takes pride in equipment bearing his name, as shown by the fact that I did not even buy the gouger from him! The reeds from this gouger are so excellent that I'm on cloud nine. I'm often shocked at how well they play the first time I put them in the oboe, and I love the way they virtually play themselves, needing hardly any changes in lip pressure for the various octaves and tone colors. Thanks Dan!

Last edited by Crispin's Creations (2011-09-11 10:11:32)

David Crispin
Crispin's Creations and Accessories
freelance oboist. Mississippi Symphony Orchestra
www.CrispinsCreations.com

Re: Ross Gouger

As Lauren Bacall said in one of her most famous movie lines, with a Dan Ross gouged reed, "all you have to do is pucker up & blow." Of course, she was referring to whistling. I think it was in the movie based on the Hemingway novel "To Have And To Have Not."

Heartiest agreement with David's post above; the Dan Ross machine is almost too good to be believed.

Best,

john

Best,

john

Re: Ross Gouger

It's great to read these glowing reviews, as I am waiting for Dan to refurbish a used Ross oboe gouger that I recently acquired.  I already own one of his E. horn gougers, and love the reeds I get from it -- and I've always been an ardent double-radius proponent!  This will be my first single-radius oboe machine, and you gentlemen are doing a fine job of assuaging my doubts.

Jonathan Marzluf
Owner, Marzluf Reeds
SoCal Freelancer/Educator
www.marzlufreeds.com