Topic: Bassoon Crutches

Howdy,
I have very long fingers and the standard fox crutch is not a correct fit. My fingers just aren't as lined up as I would like them to be. I have tried out other crutches but I haven't been about to get my hands on a type 3 that fox has. I was wondering if anyone knew where I can get the type 3 crutch at a cheaper price? I think that the bigger curve and a longer stem will fit me just right. Also if a stem is to long a hack saw can fit the stem just right if it is to long.
Thanks

Re: Bassoon Crutches

I solved my problem using the simple solutions of turning the crutch over so that the thick part is in the lower part of my hand.  This way, it forces my hand to lay on the keys in the proper position rather than having the F and A flat keys hitting the joints of my fingers.  To get it a bit longer, I stuffed a little piece of kleenex into the crutch holder base hole.  It worked like a charm.  Sounds stupid, but id did work for me.

Dean. 

BTW, getting the kleenex out can be done by either removing the base and pushing it out from the bottom, or by inserting a small drill bit in and turning it to draw the kleenex out.

Bassoonist Ordinaire, all around nice guy.
If anyone needs a damn fool, I'm your man!

Yeah I have used the standard crutch backwards and I would rather want a longer stem. It is really uncomfortable with the buldge at the end for me. Thanks for the advice though.

It is possible to order a custom made hand rest (crutch) from Fox with a stem as long as you want. crw

Christopher Weait,
Principal bassoon, Toronto Symphony (1968 - 1985)
IDRS Honorary Member; Emeritus professor Ohio State University
www.weaitmusic.com

ChrisW wrote:

It is possible to order a custom made hand rest (crutch) from Fox with a stem as long as you want. crw

I was just looking for a cheaper price on the crutches. Foxes retail price is kinda high for my budget.

I can't speak directly to Fox crutches, but I modified my (wooden) Heckel crutch for a longer stem.  Heckel wood crutches (at least for my 9000 Heckel) have the metal stem held in place by a tapered pin.  I drove that pin out (hiting the small end with a nail set) -- the stem then could easily be removed.  I fabricated a new (longer) stem and drilled a hole for the pin at the end to match the original stem.  I believe the original stem was nickel-silver -- my replacement is brass.  Reassembly was the reverse of disassembly.  I've done it twice on Heckel crutches -- the first time I used a lathe to make the shaft, the second time I just chucked up a brass rod in an electric drill and used a file to reduce the shaft diameter to what is needed.

If the crutch is plastic or held in place by glue rather than a pin, removal can be accomplished by heating the metal stem until the bond is softened and the shaft can be removed.  Obviously care must be take not to overheat the shaft as damage could take place in either the plastic or wood case.  A good epoxy glue should suffice when reassembling the crutch with a longer stem.  It's hard to believe that the heating process could work without extreme damage, but I had someone replace the metal shaft on a graphite-head badminton racket using that technique -- absolutely no damage was done and the racket was as good a new. 

Good luck

Tom Schubert

The newest crutches from Heckel (and strangely enough the ones on the Takeda model 4 and 5...) are the kind that screw in to the bracket, then are locked in place to your desired length with a locking nut. It's a far better mechanism than just a pin that is a fixed length with a perpendicular locking screw, which doesn't hold a crutch in very securely. I haven't seen this mechanism on any other manufacturer on a consistent basis... maybe Yamahas have this style too?

I'm not sure where one can procure such a crutch and bracket on its own... Someone must know what I'm talking about though (Maybe Fox makes one? I know Chip is a fan of this style of crutch bracket)

Last edited by Trent (2011-09-18 09:17:57)

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Trent wrote:

The newest crutches from Heckel (and strangely enough the ones on the Takeda model 4 and 5...) are the kind that screw in to the bracket, then are locked in place to your desired length with a locking nut. It's a far better mechanism than just a pin that is a fixed length with a perpendicular locking screw, which doesn't hold a crutch in very securely. I haven't seen this mechanism on any other manufacturer on a consistent basis... maybe Yamahas have this style too?

I'm not sure where one can procure such a crutch and bracket on its own... Someone must know what I'm talking about though (Maybe Fox makes one? I know Chip is a fan of this style of crutch bracket)

I have a Takeda 4 and my reaction is a decided "meh".  I found that the set screw came loose far too easily, and that I spent far too much time tightening the screw.  To make it fit better, I used my Dremel on the shaft of the crutch and flattened a section where the screw hits the shaft.  That solved the problem somewhat.  However, every once in a while the screw would come loose and my crutch would collapse.  As a result I was forced to resort to the old stuff-the-kleenex-down-the-crutch-support-base-hole trick.  The crutch can no longer collapse, the screw now holds it firmly, and I have forgotten that it exists.  The best of all worlds!

Bassoonist Ordinaire, all around nice guy.
If anyone needs a damn fool, I'm your man!