Topic: Modifying the reed to fit bocal

Hi!
I made a reed last night using a bigger mandrel than the one i usually use. I was very happy with the effect it had on the tube. The only problem is that the tube is to open to fit the bocal in a satisfying way. Any ideas as to how I can make the reed fit the bocal?

Re: Modifying the reed to fit bocal

Temporary solution:  A small piece of paper wrapped around the bocal with the reed placed on top. 
Possible permanent solutions: Hard drying glue, as from a glue gun.  Get the gun really hot, put a drop in the reed and immediately insert the smaller mandrel and  turn it around.  Make sure that the glue does not run down the tube to the blades of the reed.  A drop of silicone may do the same thing, but it might be too slippery on the bocal.  Wax might do the same trick.

Bassoonist Ordinaire, all around nice guy.
If anyone needs a damn fool, I'm your man!

Another suggestion. wrap a double strand of #22 soft, brass wire around the tube end close to the tube opening. Pull tight on a smaller mandrel. Cut away wrapping if necessary to make room for wire.

Christopher Weait,
Principal bassoon, Toronto Symphony (1968 - 1985)
IDRS Honorary Member; Emeritus professor Ohio State University
www.weaitmusic.com

Bevel more at the back and put a 4th wire on.

Mark

Mark Ortwein
Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra
OrtweinWoodwinds.com

I agree with other's that have mentioned adding another wire.  I would only add that you might have better result if you do it with a wet reed and let it dry overnight on the mandrel.  This will help reshape the tube in a more permanent way. 

Leigh

Leigh Munoz

www.gobassoon.com

Thank you alll for the great suggestions. I´ve tried the temporary solution involving the the paper. Works well on a temporary basis. The 4th wire suggestion is something I will try in the future. Am I right in guessing that a 4th would poen the aperture?

Thanks

JBJ Bassoon wrote:

Thank you alll for the great suggestions. I´ve tried the temporary solution involving the the paper. Works well on a temporary basis. The 4th wire suggestion is something I will try in the future. Am I right in guessing that a 4th would poen the aperture?

Thanks

Probably not. There might be a tiny fulcrum action happening, but not probably enough to notice. If you built the reeds with further bevel and put the 4th wire on first, you'd get more opening action from it. To close off the butt end though you're not going to get much more than the 3rd wire/1st wire fulcrum was already creating.

Depends on your overall wire placement/shape ratio though.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

I'm also using a shaper that's wider than my bocal naturally wants it to be and use the fourth wire as suggested above. I have a line on my mandrel to indicate the point where its radius is the same as my bocal. I form the reed normally, including the fourth wire, and then take the reed off the mandrel and put it back on as far as it will comfortably go, gently tighten the 3rd and 4th wires, take the reed off, and repeat until the reed only goes on the mandrel a little past the line. Once it dries the reed gets a pretty solid fit on the bocal. Hope this helps!

Michael Macaulay
2nd Bassoon, Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony