Topic: Pfeifer Profiler

Does anyone have experience with one or know how well they work?

Re: Pfeifer Profiler

i use a fred pfeifer profiler every day since 1978.
what would you like to know about it?
sincerely,
scott vigder

I also have a Pfeifer and it works very well as long as the blade is sharp.

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

are you using a single or a double profiler?

Mine is what Pfeifer called a full potential if I remember correctly.  It can be used as either a single or double but I am using mine as a single.

Dr. Kent Moore

Manuel Munoz sharpens the Pfeifer style blades with no trouble.He is the machinist who makes the RDG gouging machine and he is very, very good at all his work.Am I allowed to post his address and phone number?

vigderreeds@yahoo.com wrote:

Manuel Munoz sharpens the Pfeifer style blades with no trouble.He is the machinist who makes the RDG gouging machine and he is very, very good at all his work.Am I allowed to post his address and phone number?

As far as I know there are no rules against posting addresses or phone #'s but if you do, it is possible he will get calls he doesn't want (similar to e-mail spam).  Of course if it is posted elsewhere on the web for anyone to see then posting it here may not be any different and it may be helpful.  Not sure.

Dr. Kent Moore

what if i just write his mailing address?

I am guessing an address should be fine especially if Manuel doesn't mind.  And if anyone wants a phone # they could always e-mail you privately to get it.  I am also guessing that wouldn't be too often.

Dr. Kent Moore

good. his mailing address is: Manuel Munoz-Laker Precision 1367 Myra Court Chula Vista Calif 91911

I've used a Pfeifer double-barrel from the 70's, and it's not bad. However, it binds up really easily if the blade isn't razor sharp and if the carriage isn't properly lubricated. I've also noticed that it tends to splatter lubricant on my cane as I'm profiling, it takes some time and frustration to re-adjust the settings after you get the blade sharpened, and once when it bound up on a colleague of mine, it gouged a chunk out of the actual barrel (although I'm sure that was more user error than anything).

Anyway, when well maintained and in proper working order, it's a good profiler and very easy to use. However, it requires (what I consider to be) a lot of maintenance to keep it that way. I have an MD profiler now that I love, and haven't missed the Pfeifer at all.

I also own a full-potential Pfeifer profiler that I used to have set up as a double.  I had many of the same problems that the above poster encountered.  I then switched the profiler to a single and have had less problems than before.  Of course, I lost some of the advantages of the double profiler, but have learned to use the single profiler and find it quite useful.  I have had Bob Williams sharpen my blades in the past. He does a great job. I have also purchased blades from the Maine Tool Room (carbide tipped).  They sell replica Pfeifer/Hunt profilers and sell the blades separately.
www.maine-toolroom.com

All the best,

Last edited by JRodriguez877 (2012-03-02 23:39:40)

Javier Rodriguez, DM | Assistant Professor of Bassoon
University of Idaho | Lionel Hampton School of Music
Post-Haste Reed Duo | http://posthasteduo.com

Corsiar, the Pfeifer profiler is a good, though simple, profiler. I like other have the "full-potential" profiler, though the parts required to use is as a double profiler are no longer around. If they are reasonably priced they make a good first profiler, and with a little "home engineering" they can be quite useful. I'm happy with mine, and because I did not drop big bucks on a fancy profiler, I was able to scrape up and buy a nice tip profiler as well. The only bummer is that I haven't made reeds in awhile... le sigh.