Topic: modifying a profiler's blade

I have an old Pfeifer single profiler and a Rieger tip profiler, and I've been thinking alot lately about the blades on them, especially after trying a tip profiler made by Michael Kunibert. I think they're too wide.

The feature that I liked on the Kunibert tip profiler was the rounded blade. This took cane off in very thin strips at a time, instead of a wider piece. I think this treatment might work better on a profiler, too.

Any one ever modify the blade of a either type of profiler, making it either rounded or less wide? I think this would make the spine more pronounced, assuming there are flats on the pins, on a regular profiler.  And on a tip profiler, it should transfer a more detailed copy of the template.

Could be an easy and simple upgrade. You'd have to be careful that the blade is stays strong enough to cut and that narrowing the cutting edge doesn't make it bend when cutting. Hmmmm. Where's my extra blade??

Harry Searing
Bassoon, Contrabassoon, Heckelphone
Faculty: Manhattan School of Music Precollege Division (NY), Montclair State University (NJ) &  CUNY (NY)
President, LRQ Publishing - featuring the bassoon music of Francisco Mignone

Re: modifying a profiler's blade

The simplest, and most consistent, way to change the width of the spine is to change the width of the flats on the lins that hold the barrel of the profiler.  A profiler that I purchased for the University of Memphis, made by Mark Popkin,  had two sets of pins; one with wider flats than the other.  Though you may have to adjust the thickness of the profile slightly when you change the pins that still is simpler than trying to re-grind a rounded blade to the same shape.

Dale Clark
Clark Bassoon Reeds

Re: modifying a profiler's blade

The Benson Bell profilers use a very narrow blade.

Carin Miller
Jacksonville Symphony