Topic: Recording devices for bassoon

I was just wondering what recording devices you have all found best suited for recording yourself practice or lessons?  For instance, does anyone have any familiarity with the Yamaha C24 pocket recorder and it's recording quality? I am looking for something preferably under $200 but perhaps to get the quality necessary it may cost more.

Re: Recording devices for bassoon

I have a Zoom H2 recorder that has remarkably good sound for a small device, it goes for about $150 these days.  The Zoom H1 is less than $100.

If you are mostly just recording at home I'd just use your computer, you can download Audacity for free,

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

and you can buy an inexpensive dynamic microphone for less than $10.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT … amp;sr=8-3

Mark

I'll echo the Zoom H-2.  Pros are surprisingly good sound, low price, cons are itty bitty screen, long, but easy to use menus.  It is an excellent investment.

Last edited by Dean (2012-01-08 15:52:54)

Bassoonist Ordinaire, all around nice guy.
If anyone needs a damn fool, I'm your man!

I also use the Zoom H2 - best thing out there.  I use it to record myself playing bassoon and contra.  It works great with both.

Leigh Munoz

www.gobassoon.com

If you just going to recored your lessons and practice and nothing else, the H1 is the way to go. Easier to use than H2 and has almost the same sound quality - the difference is very small. I use it myself and couldn't be more happier.

- Records in WAV up to 24 Bit/96 kHz, and in mp3 up to 320 kBit
- has the same mics as the H4n
- one button to start/stop the recording
- buttons, not menues, to decide the format, low cut or auto level
- 10hrs recording time on one AA battery.
- the latest firmware, 2.0, lets you use it as a external mic for your computer

Oh, and it's cheeper than most handy recording devices.

The only down sides are that it has a plastic feel to it and no accessories in the box so getting the extra kit is more or less a must.

But if you want something more pro, go for the new H2n, not the old H2.

- Hubbe

Last edited by Hubbe (2012-01-09 12:56:25)

Basically, any of the Zoom Hxx devices will get you totally set. I have had an H2 for years and love it. It makes great recordings for louder things. The microphones aren't studio sensitive in any of these units (not enough power) so you won't get that pristine quality in distance recordings or in softer settings, but bang for the buck, you can't beat 'em.

The Pocketrack is good for reference recordings, and it's TINY, but it's limited by the microphone diaphragm size, so the recording quality isn't as good.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

So I find if you are just recording practice sessions, that a Blue Yeti Microphone works perfectly. I have used one to record my university auditions and have been tremendously satisfied with the sound quality of it. It can't match the sound quality of a multi-mike professional setup, but for home use I do not think there is anything better. Plus it is a usb microphone, so you can already use the built in audio recording software on your computer (Moviemaker in windows or garageband on mac). I think it is going for about 90$ on amazon right now.