Topic: dial caliper for checking tip opening

I need to find a dial caliper with a digital read-out so I can accurately check the blade opening of any style  reed.
meaning, if a reed has a width of 15 mm, I want to be able to accurately read 1.5 mm with no trouble.
who manufactures it, or who sells it?
please let me know when possible.

Re: dial caliper for checking tip opening

You mean for measuring the INSIDE of the blade opening?  Or the outside?  Any standard digital caliper should do for the outside.  See, for instance, http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-dig … 47257.html

no, definitely the inside measurement.
the reason for this posting question is that in Chris Weaits' newest bassoon reed making book he brings up the ratio hypothesis  that Heinrich wrote about in the 1978 publication"L'Anche".
this conception of any reed one measures the blade width opening from side to side, and that the opening ITSELF should be 10% of it.
which translates to:
15 mm width of blade= 1.5 mm
16 mm width of blade= 1.6 mm
or any other measurement variable.

since the normal eye can not differentiate that minute a difference easily, that is why I am looking for a dial caliper.

The calipers linked above will measure inside dimensions as well, however, it's going to be tricky to get an accurate reading of a tip measurement, especially considering the tip opening changes as you play, with the weather, how wet the reed is, and who knows what else.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds