Topic: You can tune a guitar but you can't tuna fish ...

Help, please on what electronic tuner to use.  I am currently have a Korg CA-1.  My teacher thinks I need a tuner that plays a range of tones, like the app on his i-phone, rather than just displaying a gauge to show how [outrageously] sharp I am playing at any given moment.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Sephie // painfully aware after 6 months that an oboe bears little resemblance to a flute.

Last edited by Persephone (2012-03-29 18:48:11)

Oy vey!  Just look at all of those keys!

Re: You can tune a guitar but you can't tuna fish ...

I think many of us have the Korg CA-30.  I see there is a CA-40 out now.  It is very inexpensive and plays all the tones of the chromatic scale but you do have to cycle through them and the range is only 1 octave.  You can also buy tuning CD's that play tones and I bet you could find something online that does this too.

http://www.amazon.com/Korg-CA-40-Large- … B000EE8YPK

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

Here is one I have always wanted to try.  I think it has 5 octaves of reference tones.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GF … PDKIKX0DER

Last edited by Kent Moore (2012-03-29 19:47:28)

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

Thank you, Kent!  The OT-120 does look cool.  Nonetheless, I've ordered a CA-40, it does what I need now and the price is right. 

Sephie // My oboe has more toys than my animals do

get the best tuner you can. this is an area where i would not buy cheap!

but then, i have a petersen.

Now I am concerned, Tomj.  I ordered through amazon.com and it's not here yet, thus I have not committed.  I am not in the market for a Peterson, but would consider a Yamaha TD-100 or Korg OT-120.

The Korg CA-1 I currently have is fine to tune a flute, i.e., knowing how far to pull out the headjoint.  I started oboe lessons a few months ago and am considerably less confident.  In fact, I am pleased as punch to consistently produce sound and recall fingerings.  What features and functionality is useful beyond an octave of reference tones and a display indicating how sharp I am playing?

Sephie

each person will have different preferences. I think we can all attest to having owned numerous tuners and I was probably hasty in my vagueness. For 20$ you can decide if you like that one, and if you don't, you can get something else next time.