Topic: Bassoon Concertos by American Composers

I'm interested in learning a bassoon concerto by an American composer this summer. Here's a few I know of:

Ray Luke Concerto for Bassoon and Orchestra
Dan Welcher Concerto da Camera for Solo Bassoon and Small Orchestra
Ellen Taaffe Zwilich Concerto for Bassoon and Orchestra
John Williams The Five Sacred Trees: Concerto for Bassoon and Orchestra
John Steinmetz Concerto for Bassoon and Orchestra

Anyone know of any others out there?

I'd also like to find recordings of the Luke, Welcher, and Steinmetz. Anyone know where I could buy them? If no one has recorded them, perhaps someone could share a digital recording of their own performance? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Tyler Durden (2012-05-23 23:09:59)

"It's not my job to give you the pulse! It's your job to figure it out!"
-An Allegedly Professional Conductor

Re: Bassoon Concertos by American Composers

John Steinmetz sent me a recording of him playing his concerto. Contact him directly and I'm sure he'd send you a copy. He's easy to reach through Facebook.

Someone played the Ray Luke either last year or two years ago at an IDRS evening concert. I'm sure there's an archive recording of it. Or the person that played it would have a recording of himself (I don't remember exactly who it was).

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

That was Yoshi who played the Luke.  Here are some excerpts  http://www.personaltube.com/videos?s=WU … 95sBWV4E90

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

Thanks for the input! I found a video of the Luke in the IDRS archive. I'm sending a message to John Steinmitz this evening. I found an LP of Leonard Sharrow performing the Welcher at Crystal Records. I don't have a record player, so I asked them in an e-mail if I could get a digitized copy. Fingers crossed.

Are you looking for only bassoon/orchestra concerti?

If not, there are other works, whether formally labeled "concerto" or not.

Michael Daughterty: "Dead Elvis" comes immediately to mind.

So does Dana Wilson: "Avatar: Concerto for Bassoon and Chamber Winds."

I'm in the process of commissioning a new concerto for Bassoon and Oboe and Wind Band from California composer, Jenni Brandon.  It will be premiered in November.

Scott Pool

"The Ornaments look pretty, but they're pulling down the branches of the tree." - Cake

Thanks for all your input!

William Safford wrote:

Are you looking for only bassoon/orchestra concerti? . . . Michael Daughterty: "Dead Elvis" comes immediately to mind. . . .

Yes, I'm looking for something specifically for bassoon and orchestra. My hope is that in the future I'll be invited to perform a concerto with one of my orchestras. If that happens I'd like to have something mostly under my fingers. I've worked on a lot of music by European composers, so I thought it would be fun to learn some music composed by someone here in the States.

I'm not interested in learning Dead Elvis. I hate dressing up, even during Halloween. Plus, I don't want to reinforce the stereotype of our instrument as, "the clown of the orchestra." Bassoon is a wonderfully expressive instrument, and I'd like showcase that if ever given the opportunity.

I'm not interested in learning Dead Elvis. I hate dressing up, even during Halloween. Plus, I don't want to reinforce the stereotype of our instrument as, "the clown of the orchestra." Bassoon is a wonderfully expressive instrument, and I'd like showcase that if ever given the opportunity.

Thank you. Sincerely, Charles McCracken

Crystal Records got back to me. They wrote that they have no plans to transfer the LP into a digital format. So, does anyone have a recording of Dan Welcher's Concerto da Camera for Solo Bassoon and Small Orchestra? I'd be satisfied with a live recording of someone's recital with piano accompaniment. I promise not to share it with anyone else. I just want something I can study the score with.