Topic: Unhealthy Blades?

Hi:

I bought some x-acto style blades (ie not actually made by x-acto) and on the packaging it says "treated with volatile corrosion inhibitors.  Do not use with foodstuffs."  Now I am wondering if these are safe to use with my reed making.  Can they be wiped clean to be safe?  Or maybe I should just buy the actual x-acto brand.  Would that be a safer bet.

Thanks for any ideas.  Kent

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

Re: Unhealthy Blades?

My husband, a chemical engineer, says that unless you can find out exactly what the chemical is that they have treated the blades with, that you should be wary of using them because of trace elements that might be left when the volatiles are all gone.  Normally, some sort of light oil (WD-40 style) would be used, he says,  and this could be removed with turps, naphtha, alcohol, or the like.  But since they have not said what they've used, you would probably be better to be on the safe side and not use them.

Very interesting.  Thanks so much for looking into this for me Nancy and thank your husband for me too.

Dr. Kent Moore

I looked more carefully at the paper that holds the blades and it also says "ProtekWrap"  "face opposite side to metal, do not unwrap until ready to use"   "Daubert Cromwell"

So now I wonder if it is the paper that is treated and not the metal blades.  But some of the treatment on the paper would get on the metal so it still might not be safe.

Dr. Kent Moore