Topic: IDRS conference registration costs -- WOW!

Hi everyone,
I may open up a can of worms here but its worth discussion I think.

I have attended several IDRS conventions and have had a WONDERFUL experience at each one of them. I was even able to co-present at one. I live only four hours from Oxford Ohio and was planning on attending this year's conference due to its close proximity. Then, I visited the site and calculated the cost. For me to attend, and bring my wife (a non member) for only two days (we were planning on coupling as a part of a vacation) it was going to cost over $500.  That was minus travel costs or lodging. Does anyone else find this a little absurd?

I don't remember past conferences (last I attended was 2007 or 2008 -- cannot recall which) costing nearly this much and that was factoring in a full conference pass.

Are the costs set by IDRS or by the individual venue/host? I have since spoken to 5 of my colleagues/friends who had the same reaction. They, like me, have decided that it is just entirely too expensive to attend the conference this year. I also had two college students wishing to attend. Once they calculated the costs....they too are not attending.

I apologize for opening a can of worms just a handful of days before the conference, but it is rather disconcerting to see how expensive the conference has become. And, that is coming from someone who has a full time job and lives comfortably. Anyone else out there see the cost as a concern for future IDRS conventions?

Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

Re: IDRS conference registration costs -- WOW!

Hi Shawn,

As an attendee for many years, I often wondered the same thing--but as this year's co-host, I quickly learned much more about the structure of the IDRS Conference budgets.

Perhaps I can bring some translucency to the table.

1.) IDRS Conferences are fully run on registration monies. I did not realize this. The Society (IDRS) provides a small start-up grant, but it is the attendance of paying registrants that keeps Conferences afloat, fun, and engaging.

2.) IDRS Conferences are not profit-seeking. The rates are set in concordance with the hosting institution and the Society Executive Board. The goal (and trust me, this is what keeps me up at nights) is to break even.

3.) IDRS Conferences are expensive. As an attendee, I just didn't think about these things (maybe others do)...but big ticket items on our budget include a full AFM Orchestra, 150-page published/bound program books, welcome bags, catering, venue rental, security, shuttles, Collaborative Musicians, Equipment Movement,  I could go on for hours before I started into the smaller costs that add up very quickly.

4.) IDRS Conferences celebrate community. I have attended a number of varying conferences of other instrument types--something that distinguishes ours is the spirit of community. No artists are paid for their contribution to IDRS. All double reed musicians from young teenagers to the most distinguished performers come to celebrate the music, teaching, scholarship, artistry, and friendship of the International Double Reed Society. It is not unusual to see Gordon Hunt sitting on a bench next to a young college student, or Barrick Stees hanging out in the food court with an avid enthusiast. I have always believed this, but hosting has allowed me to see this spirit from the inside. I hope people will be able to attend, if only for a day.

5.) Regarding you and your wife: Your best registration is a Daily Rate ($120/day). Your wife may register under a Family Rate ($155). She may not be interested in attending (not a double reeder)? I stress that the Night Concerts are free and open to the public.
Our Hertitage Commons Apartments contain Double Beds, so for $65 a night, you would have a beautiful room. See more at www.idrs2012.com

I hope this answers some questions!

Christin
--
Dr. Christin Schillinger
Assistant Professor of Bassoon
Co-Host, IDRS 2012  Like us on Facebook!

Miami University
schillcm@muohio.edu

Re: IDRS conference registration costs -- WOW!

Christin,
Thanks for the insight. Thank you for taking on such a huge undertaking. I have helped with the logistics of other conferences in the past and certainly understand the unexpected expenses and HUGE undertaking and time commitment you have undertaken.

I wonder if other professional conferences incur the same expenses? (Clarinet Society, NFA - Flute, PAS {Percussion}, Horn Symposium, etc.) Do they all provide bags, an entire AFM orchestra, etc? I'm sure this research has been done...was just curious.

Hope I didn't open a can of worms -- just wondering why it was so expensive. Thanks for answering the questions. It doesn't change the fact that I still cannot spend that much to come, but kudos to you for taking on this massive event.

Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)