Topic: Oboe Reed Making Class at IDRS 2005 Conference

Fellow oboists,

A few people, myself included, have expressed a desire to see some kind of master class devoted to oboe reed making at the 2005 conference. Of course the deadline for officially adding something like that to the conference schedule has long past, but James Ryon, associate professor of oboe at Louisiana State University and Principal Oboe of the Baton Rouge Symphony and the Akron Symphony, has agreed to address a group of interested people during the lunch hour on Monday, June 6th. I seem to be in charge of any organizational work related to this informal event. Becky Henderson has secured a room for the class.

The class would be geared for those oboists who feel they "need some help" with their reed making, not intended to teach seasoned professionals new things. You can find Mr. Ryon's impressive credentials and examples of his beautiful playing at http://www.music.lsu.edu/~jryon/ . He has studied with John Mack, a giant among oboe reed makers.

Mr. Ryun's plan for topics cover is as follows:

1. Cane selection, gouge & shape.
2. Tubes, mandrels, wrapping & ear removal
3. Knife sharpening and when is it time to get a new knife
3. Preliminary scrape and initial clip
4. A 3 stage process for forming the tip
5. The crow and what it tells you about the balance between tip,
plateau & back
6. Managing the reed "bullpen" and knowing when it's time to retire the
old timers and look for new talent

This would be an " at the chalkboard" class, not a hands-on reedmaking session. It's fine with Mr. Ryon for attendees to bring their lunch or a snack, but I have not yet determined whether the University will allow this.

I am told that the room which we have reserved for the class will comfortably hold about 15 people. With this limited capacity, I would ask that at the present time, only oboists who feel they would probably benefit from the class sign up. I would ask that masters of reedmaking and persons with only a passing interest in oboe reedmaking abstain from signing up at the present time. If space allows, we may have a few places to open up to those persons who would be attending more from curiosity.

If you are interested in attending, you need to email me privately at crispinscreations@jam.rr.com ASAP. Replies to this posting made here on the Forum will not be considered. Reservations will be taken on a first come, first served basis.

Thanks,

David Crispin
CrispinsCreations@jam.rr.com

David Crispin
Crispin's Creations and Accessories
freelance oboist. Mississippi Symphony Orchestra
www.CrispinsCreations.com

Re: Oboe Reed Making Class at IDRS 2005 Conference

I am planning on going to the 2006 convention and think this would again be
a great idea.  Perhaps if planning were started now.  It would be a great annual
class to have a master reed maker give his/her ideas on what works for them.
From each individual we could pick up bits and pieces since every one has
their own idiosyncracies