Topic: help! oboe fingering for high high C and above to F

Hello all!
After being faxed the first three pages,I agreed to perform a piece by Michael Finnissy , Greatest Hits of all Time,for oboe soloist and coherts.Today I received the real part which includes high Cs Ds Es and Fs 7 ledger lines etc. above the staff. I can play with my teeth up to Csharp but then I am in no man's land. Anyone have a trick for playing these notes besides whipping out a piccolo? I would be grateful for any tips.
Rosey

Last edited by rosemary yiameos (2007-03-01 14:01:01)

Re: help! oboe fingering for high high C and above to F

If you mean that you are being asked to play an "F" seven ledger lines above the treble clef staff I find it amusing.   Either the composer has never studied composition for oboe or they are trying for some sort of "effect?"   I can think of better ways to get the effect that those notes would produce.  One would be to fill a balloon then hold the end with a fair amount of tension til you get various pitches of screeching.   I'm sure there are other techniques too.    Good luck in your search for fingerings for these notes.   I have played many pieces that included demanding extended techniques and register extremes for the oboe but I'll gladly not be adding Mr. Finnissey's piece to my repertoire.
Good luck with your search and with your performance!!  I feel for you.   This list is a great resource and I'm sure someone on this list will have something that might help you out.   I wish I could be more optimistic and upbeat.   It must be my advancing years.   I'll leave the D's, D#'s, E's, F's and F#'s, seven ledger lines above the staff, to the younger folks.

Sorry I can't personally help Rosey, but if bassoonists had taken the same sort of advice as offered by hobo we wouldn't have the Rite of Spring, Ravel's Gmaj Piano Concerto, Firebird, West Side Story etc. Hobo is right that composers are seeking an effect - knife edge, dangerous, tense and challenging both to player and listener alike. Keep striving, honing those reeds, having titanium dental implants fitted, adding reinforcing bands to both reed and instrument, upgrading ear-plugs, triple by-pass.....  oh dear I am as unable to help as hobo - we'll just have to crawl back into our cardboard cartons under the bridge and break out the cheap wine. At least we may be able to toast your anticipated success or drown the shrieks or...
Neville

Neville Forsythe
Christchurch New Zealand
Bassoonist / Teacher / Conductor

I totally agree.amusing. I started giggling hysterically in fact.  Why would one choose an oboe for this effect?Titanium dental implants or balloons sound like good options so far. I am trying to get hold of the gentleman who premiered the work and if I find a solution, will pass on the useful information... thank you for the suggestions.Otherwise, I really like the piece, mostly quartertones weaving in and out of each other, it was transcribed from Korean court music. I have not yet heard the other parts though, which include strings and piano playing altered excerpts from Vivaldi's Four Seasons and Beethoven Sonatas...
Rosey

Didn't PDQ Bach introduce this by simply blowing on the reed and modifying the pitch!? I don't mean to be facitious, but I play both bassoon and oboe and while I love challenging music, I still love the instruments for their haunting beauty and tone. This range doesn't enhance that.

Lori Olson-Putz
double duty player