Topic: Bassoon Study Material for a 7th Grade Beginner

I am going to give bassoon lessons to a new student.  I have been told he plays trombone in the school band, and also plays violin, guitar and trumpet.  7th grade student (13 years old?). 

Any ideas as to what method book(s) would be the most appropriate for someone like this?  Thanks a lot in advance.

Sincerely,
Wai Kit Leung

oboe (French, Viennese, baroque), bassoon (German, French, baroque), shawm, dulcian

Re: Bassoon Study Material for a 7th Grade Beginner

Sounds exactly like the kind of student the Weissenborn is made for. Plenty of established musical experience, already reads bass clef, just needs to learn to apply those things to the bassoon.

I recommend using Doug Spaniol's edition, instead of the older editions that are out there. If you're not familiar with it, you owe it to yourself as a bassoon teacher to be familiar with it. It's a much needed update to the classic book we all know and love.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Hello Wai Kit

If you are a pianist, The Young Bassoonist is very good and rapidly covers the first note "open F" down to low C diatonically in C and F majors. It uses familiar hymns, carols and folksongs (English based) and eventually includes chromatic notes from low F to 2 octaves.

Using the piano helps with motivation, intonation, tone development. It segues onto a number of pieces as well as the "not to be missed" Weissenborn Method. Progress is usually rapid especially for players with other wind playing or piano backgrounds.

The Topic: "Bassoon Scheme Beginner to High School Graduate" in this Forum expands on a possible programme for exactly your student's age-range, background etc.

Best wishes Neville

Neville Forsythe
Christchurch New Zealand
Bassoonist / Teacher / Conductor

Hello Trent, Neville,

Thank you so much for your kind inputs.  I don't play piano, and I have asked my student to get the new Weissenborn edition.  He has had 3 lessons with me and things are going well.  I don't think I have heard a better bassoon tone from a beginner before.  Thanks again for your kind inputs.

Sincerely,
Wai Kit Leung

oboe (French, Viennese, baroque), bassoon (German, French, baroque), shawm, dulcian