Topic: German style oboe reeds

Would any of our German oboist friends who play on German style reeds be willing to
email me a short lesson on how you scrape your reeds, including any measurements,
dimensions, information on the shaper tips you use etc.??   I would love to play around
with such a scrape but don't really know where to start.

Thank you for your help!!

Stuart Horn
s_e.horn@sbcglobal.net

Re: German style oboe reeds

To Stuart Horn, re: Deutche Oboenrohr,  I'm an American boy but have been using German scrape for a couple of years now.  Reed length: 71mm,  staple 46 or 47 mm,  length of scrape: 10 mm.  Scrape features:  Like the French scrape there is a gradual taper from the heal to the tip.  However,  the taper doesn't thin as much as it approaches the tip and then there is an abrupt edge at the tip and the tip is very short ( only 1 mm)  The center of the scrape is left considerably thicker than the sides.  And the center provides the heart of the reed and runs the length of the scrape. The sides taper down and come out pretty much level with the tip (die "Ansprache").  One other thing.  You need to really dig in when forming the U shape at the heal of the scrape.  This is done with the knife held purely vertically and using very short (1-3mm) strokes, also use this short stroke technique when forming the tip but DON'T DIG IN.  Shaper tip,  I use a Gilbert 1 and it seems to work fine--cane:  Rigotti, K Ge.  Since Rigotti is less expensive it is good to use while learning.  Also it is softer so you don't have to remove as much cane.  There is an exellent book by Karl Hentschel, "Das Oboenrohr"  published by Moeck.  Unfortunately it's not been translated,  However all the excellent illustrations have lots of very precise measurements.  I got from a listing on Amazon. de.

James,

Any chance that you may be able to provide a sketch or a photograph of a reed?

Jean-Marc Larsen
1830 du Lac
St-Bruno, QC J3V 4B3
Canada

Jean-Marc,

There is  a web site for you to visit that has a good, clear picture--in color.

Go to: http://www.oboenrohre.de

James,

Thanks for the link. It helped as much as a picture can. A few more questions: which diameter cane do you use? Also, what is the opening of your reed in playing condition? Finally, is it a free blowing reed or does it require quite a bit of lip control to play properly and in tune?

TIA

Jean-Marc

Jean-Marc Larsen
1830 du Lac
St-Bruno, QC J3V 4B3
Canada

Jean Marc,
I use 10.5 - 11 gouge.  Openning: 1mm give or take .05mm.  As part of this style I use a brass wire, 28 guage, double wrapped, 4 mm up from the twine.  I know most players just about faint when you say the "w" word, including me until recently. In exploring the German scrape I found that many use a wire, so I thought I'd try it and found that I liked what it can contribute. What it does is give me a very precise control over the openning which, in turn, helps make adjusments in resistance, intonation and color (more highs or more lows).  AND Janet Craxton used a wire and there wasn't anything at all pinched or weak about her gorgeous sound.  No it doesn't require quite a bit of lip control.  The heart running the length of the scrape, the pronounced hump, and the very short tip seem to give it the same kind of resistance and stability that the American scrape provides.