Topic: Amati Contra-bassoon

I'm a student and am looking for a contra-bassoon. When I saw the $4,500 price on the Amati Contra-bassoon on music123.com I was very surprised and excited. But I'm wondering if it's a deal too good to be true. Has anyone had any experience with this instrument?
Thanks ahead of time,
Kyle Lehnick

Re: Amati Contra-bassoon

My friend bought one of these.  He had the contrabassoonist in Austin (John Upchurch) try it out.  Basically, it's an extremely good horn for the money, but it definitely doesn't live up to a Fox or Heckel.

Associate Principal Bassoon/Contrabassoon, Kansas City Symphony

Oh, you must be friends with Billy Short right?

bbqbsn wrote:

I'm a student and am looking for a contra-bassoon. When I saw the $4,500 price on the Amati Contra-bassoon on music123.com I was very surprised and excited. But I'm wondering if it's a deal too good to be true. Has anyone had any experience with this instrument?

We had a Kroner/Amati contrabassoon at Syracuse University a few years ago, and it was a terrible instrument. Some notes were simply impossible to play in tune. A trip to a reputable bassoon technician resulted in several changes in position of tone holes, etc., but very little help in the general quality of the instrument.

It's an attractive price, but "you get what you pay for." Caveat emptor.

David Ross
Syracuse, NY

bbqbsn wrote:

Oh, you must be friends with Billy Short right?

Yup.  Maybe he got lucky with his, although the tuning slide was stuck for a while, and we had to really work to get it free so that it could be olied, etc.  Maybe you could look for a better quality used one...

Associate Principal Bassoon/Contrabassoon, Kansas City Symphony