Topic: Jazz Music/arrangements for Oboe OR English horn

Hi everyone,
One of my students enlightened me to a great arrangement this evening by the Paul Winter Consort. It was an arrangement of "On the Steppes of Central Asia" which had many jazz elements infused with the new age stuff. It also led me to Paul McCandless. I am reminded of two charts off of Colin Davis's amazing new album that are jazz charts. Great stuff and unexplored for the most part for our instruments. So, my question:

I would love to get a hold of some of these arrangements OR simply some jazz charts specifically for English horn or oboe. Any thoughts on where to get them? Any thoughts on where to get jazz charts for solo EH or Oboe?

Thanks in advance,
Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

Re: Jazz Music/arrangements for Oboe OR English horn

I'm on a quest for music for a specific ensemble: Oboe (or EH) and Jazz Trio (Piano, Bass, Drum Set)

I have located several works that will work:

Claude Bolling Suite (for Flute) and Jazz Trio
Three works from Colin Maier's first CD (names escape me but I have secured the printed music)

Others? I am fascinated by the crossover capability of the oboe/EH in the jazz quartet idiom. I am planning a faculty recital and the first half is going to be oboe/EH and jazz trio.

Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

Hi Shawn, you may want to reach out to Aaron Hill at UVA. His website is "everything jazz and oboe" http://www.jazz-oboe.com/

Aaron are you on the Forum?

On another note, I see you have a new title in your signature line, Shawn. Do tell.

-best,
Dwight

Last edited by Dwight Manning (2015-07-27 13:27:44)

Dr. Dwight Manning
Teachers College, Columbia University
Box 97 525 West 120th St. New York, NY 10027
212-678-8252  <dm2723@tc.columbia.edu>

Dwight (et al),

Thanks for the great suggestions on the jazz music and for the website suggestion! Great site!

I have moved from my former position to a new one. I am taking over, returning to one of my alma maters, as the Oboe Professor at Youngstown State University (YSU). It is an honor and a privilege to be returning to return where it all began and take over from my mentor and former teacher. 

As a side note, some of you may recognize YSU as the school that put Jim Tressel, of Ohio State fame, on the map. Incidentally, he too has returned to YSU to serve as its President.

Any other jazz suggestions...keep them coming!

Shawn

Last edited by Oboehotty (2015-07-27 18:41:31)

Shawn Reynolds

Why not bust out a Real Book in C and make your own arrangements to play with a combo? If you aren't comfortable improvising, compose your own melodies based on the harmonies ahead of time.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds