Topic: E to G shake...

In Mason Jones' transcription of Ravel's Tombeau de Couperin for ww quintet, the last 3 measures of the Prelude has an E natural (5th line, tenor clef) going to the higher G natural above - does anyone know of a possible fingering for this shake?  Thanks in advance for any future response/help.  Jim

James Jeter, D.M.A., NYC Bassoonist
"To love human beings is still the only thing worth living for; without that love, you really do not live." Soren Kierkegaard
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it." Mahatma Gandhi  "Mach' es kurz! Am Juengsten Tag ist's nur ein Furz!" Goethe

Re: E to G shake...

Hey Jim,
I'm playing the Jones Tombeau this weekend. I'm starting with a couple full fingered, then moving to this with the e-flat resonance key down.

eb-tr
x o o | o o o

Associate Professor of Bassoon, University of North Carolina School of the Arts
Principal Bassoon, Winston-Salem Symphony
Bassoon, Zéphyros Winds
Associate Editor, IDRS.org

I recently learned that Paul Hanson does this move all the time. Once I knew he was doing it I heard it all over his solo playing.

First finger, over blow to get the E, then trill the high Eb key, like Saxton said.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Great - I'll definitely try this!  Thanks much.

"To love human beings is still the only thing worth living for; without that love, you really do not live." Soren Kierkegaard
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it." Mahatma Gandhi  "Mach' es kurz! Am Juengsten Tag ist's nur ein Furz!" Goethe

Another really good one from Juan de Gomar:

LH 2 3 Eb   RH 1 2 3 Ab

to

LH 2 3 Eb  RH Ab  (Move the 3 fingers of the right hand!)

http://youtu.be/iBXiqaXHeOQ?t=3m

Associate Professor of Bassoon, University of North Carolina School of the Arts
Principal Bassoon, Winston-Salem Symphony
Bassoon, Zéphyros Winds
Associate Editor, IDRS.org