Topic: After cararact surgery, when is it safe to play?

I'm scheduled for cataract surgery next month. Does anyone know how long one should wait after normal cataract surgery before resuming playing the bassoon?  I've read that anything that puts pressure on the eye should be avoided for a while, and I've got a sense that wind playing is one of those things.

Of course I'm going to ask my eye doctor, but I don't know if he knows what a bassoon is.

Thanks!
--Peter

Last edited by Peter Klein (2013-03-17 18:07:19)

Re: After cararact surgery, when is it safe to play?

Much depends on the nature of the procedure, so ytou should ask your ophthalmologist specifically about playing. My personal experience last summer from cataract removal/intraocular lens implantation for both eyes (separately, of course), was a return to bassooning between 8-14 days. No complications or problems with it.

Dr. Bill Dawson, bassoonist and teacher
IDRS medical consultant
Past President, Performing Arts Medicine Assoc.
Author of "Fit as a Fiddle: The Musician's Guide to Playing Healthy"

My eye surgeon let me return after one week.

Rich Gordley

Thanks to both of you, Bill and Rich.  One week, give or take, is similar to the general advice given about bending, lifting and so forth.  I'll be seeing the ophthalmologist next week for my pre-op appointment, so I'll ask him then.  I just wanted to hear what any fellow bassoonists had experienced, in case the instrument is unfamiliar to the doctor.

Update:  I had my surgery two weeks ago. Surprisingly, my surgeon said I could play after two days. After that, outward pressure didn't concern him, only inward pressure.  I decided to play it safe and wait a week anyway, since that was the average of what others had told me.  So far all's good, and I'm getting used to life as a non-nearsighted person.  A pair of over-the-counter +1 diopter reading glasses are working fine for arms-length activities like reading music.

Last edited by Peter Klein (2013-04-19 14:01:16)

I returned to the bassoon a couple of weeks after cataract surgery (last summer)--no problems. Be aware, however, that there is always the slight possibility of complications after cataract surgery. In my case it was macular edema, in both eyes, which was remedied with cortisone injections. My eye doctor characterized me as belonging to the 5% of the population who experience this.

Christopher Brodersen
Maker of Historical Keyboard Instruments
Reviewer/contributor - Fanfare Magazine
Amateur bassoonist, baroque oboist, baroque bassoonist