Topic: BAM High Tech Bassoon Case

I would like to solicit comments from anyone who has a BAM High Tech Bassoon Case. I know that it's heavier than a Bonna case and am wondering how it feels as a backpack.

Re: BAM High Tech Bassoon Case

I moved to the Bam from a Bonna case a couple years back. I did it mainly for the protection purposes. It's only marginally heavier than the Bonna. You can't load it up with accessories, so for me it's actually lighter than my Bonna was because I'm carrying less extraneous stuff along with me in the case.

It's a very comfortable backpack assuming you use the included pads. I dare say more comfortable than the Bonna, but they're both well balanced compared to a hard case with a case cover.

I have had other Bam owners tell me that the latches are a hair trigger on their case, but I haven't found that to be the case with mine. I still lock the latches just to make sure it doesn't come open by accident.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Re: BAM High Tech Bassoon Case

I have a BAM case and have owned one for about a year now. I went from a Wiseman case to a Bonna case then to the BAM case. I absolutely love the BAM case! It feels more solid and well put together than the Bonna case. I find the space isn't too much of an issue; you have plenty of room for reeds, swabs, music, etc.

Personally, I don't notice the added weight when I am carrying or when it is on my back. The straps are extremely comfortable and don't dig into your shoulders at all. I personally liked the "feel" of the BAM case out of the three cases I had when I was carrying it on my back. BAM put this very comfortable mesh pouch for your music that feels very comfortable. It seems to fit the contour of your back much better than some of the other cases out there.