Topic: Lowering Pads v. Taping Tone Holes

Bassoon friends: I'm trying to lower the pitch on my Fox 660's low F and am trying to decide if I should just put a piece of tape under the foot of the E key to close the distance a bit or if I should actually put tape in the tone hole. Is one better than the other? Thoughts?

Dr. Ryan D. Romine
Shenandoah Conservatory
Winchester, VA
"Chamber music is but a microcosm of the human condition."

Re: Lowering Pads v. Taping Tone Holes

I put a small amount of tape in my low E tone hole for that very purpose on my Fox 601. I found that a lower pad height impact was negliable(sp?) on the pitch

Why don´t you ask Chip Owen of Fox, a general email address at the Fox site will do. He is excellent help and would have the best advice. You could also scrape the last 5mm of the reed I suppose.

Principal bassoonist, Orquesta Sinfonica de Galicia, A Coruña, Spain. Bassoonist, bassoon dad, bassoon husband, bassoon uncle, bassoon brother and bassoon son.

I have a small felt under the foot of my pie key, just be careful not to close the hole too much. You will know because it can make the note airy or flat.

Principal bassoonist, Orquesta Sinfonica de Galicia, A Coruña, Spain. Bassoonist, bassoon dad, bassoon husband, bassoon uncle, bassoon brother and bassoon son.