Topic: Makeshift expanded crutch

Hey guys!  I am a high school bassoonist with pretty large hands.  For a while now I have had the problem of my right hand sort of collapsing on itself while I'm playing -- a normal crutch just isn't quite big enough to keep my hand nice and round.

Fortunately, I think I might have stumbled upon a solution.  I took one of those plastic reed-shipping cylinders and wedged it onto the bulby part of the crutch,  with that end pointed down.  Now the crutch extends further down and out, supporting my hand in a round position.  When I get my dropbox working I'll post a picture of it.

Does anyone know of a commercial product that serves the same purpose?  Or another, better, makeshift solution?  If not, large-handed bassoonists, try it out and spread the word, and call it the Brookner Crutch smile

Re: Makeshift expanded crutch

Fox Products Corporation will create a hand rest (crutch) for you with a stem on any length you order.

Christopher Weait,
Principal bassoon, Toronto Symphony (1968 - 1985)
IDRS Honorary Member; Emeritus professor Ohio State University
www.weaitmusic.com

One of the techs at Midwest Musical also makes custom handrests.  Drop them an email.

Bassoonist Ordinaire, all around nice guy.
If anyone needs a damn fool, I'm your man!

In case you haven't tried this, just turn the crutch 180 degrees so that the bulbous end (which is higher) is in your palm rather than above your thumb.