Topic: Replacement wing joint tenon & new tenon cap

Hello fellow bassoonists! Do you have any recommendations for a fine repair technician who could replace a wing joint tenon and replace the wing tenon cap (for a different bassoon)?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by wolf0295 (2013-07-06 21:21:23)

Re: Replacement wing joint tenon & new tenon cap

Depending upon your location (although you could send your bassoon out), I would recommend four I with whom I have had work done: Holden McAleer (Baltimore, MD), Ken Potsic (Kalamazoo, MI), Paul Nordby (Indianapolis, IN) and Chad Taylor (Illinois). There are several others, such as Charles Hubner (PA), Frank Marcus (Toronto), Jimmy Keyes (Tennessee), Jim Kirker (Boston) of whom I've heard good things... Hope this helps, and good luck!

David Bell
Alexandria, VA

David Bell
Alexandria, VA
amateur bassoon and contra bassoon

Realize that the wing joint tenon is a bit more involved than the bass joint tenon, as there's a liner issue to deal with. Who is the manufacturer of this bassoon? Make sure the tech you send it to is able to replace the liner section accurately.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Thank you both for the information and advice! The bassoon needing the tenon replacement is a Polisi and the one needing the wing tenon cap replacement is a Schreiber. I look forward to restoring them to playable condition.

Hmm. Well, depending on the age of the Polisi it might have been made by Schreiber, but it doesn't matter as I'm sure nobody has the reamers for that wing joint anymore.

Take care if your technician selection and understand the costs will be pretty high for that wing tenon replacement.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds