Topic: EH Middle D -- jumping octave after "fix"

Hi everyone,
I just had both my oboe and EH in for their annual checkup and such a couple weeks ago. Have played a couple times since. All of the sudden today on my English horn, my middle D (fourth line/half hole D) is jumping the octave to the D above the staff. I have swabbed, blown out the tone holes, used cig. paper, etc. No luck.....still happening. I suspect a half-hole vent issue, but want suggestions before I dis-assemble the keys to clean it out.

It seems to be a half hole issue, however I do not know why this would happen all of the sudden. By the way, no crack -- I have looked thoroughly. I have also tried several different reeds and am not using a different bocal than normal.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this? I hate to drive an hour to take it back to my very reputable repair person, but have an audition in a month.

Any suggestions?

Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

Re: EH Middle D -- jumping octave after "fix"

Probably, your first right finger F# doesn't close completely.

Mostly likely - you have another leak somewhere that is mimicking opening the octave key. Something could be holding a key open slightly somewhere.  Try using a skinny sliver of cigarette paper and try it under every key on the top joint to make sure nothing is being help open slightly - start with the trill keys and check to make sure that there is a slight amount of play int eh bridge key for the trills. If the bridge got a little bent and there is no play between the joints, it might open slightly sometimes and act like an octave key.

~Heidi

I would taske it straight back to the person who did the check-up.

Quick check on the bridge keys (and also the F# being held open by the articulated G# having been bent and now too tight) would be to twist the top joint enough so the bridge keys don't connect (and the F#/G# are also decoupled) and see if the issue goes away (for the Ds).-kby

Last edited by kby (2015-01-12 20:35:05)