Topic: Maslanka Sonata IV mov

Hello everyone.

I'm working on Maslanka's Sonata, and I'm having some trouble with the last movement. The problem is with the turns in the high register: E G D G B A G D, that is repeated several times. Is there any alternate fingerings for this passage?

Thanks,

Fernando Zuniga
San Jose, Costa Rica

Re: Maslanka Sonata IV mov

Hi Fernando:

I can't answer your Maslanka question, but I am so excited to see your name here I had to say hi.  Welcome to the Forum!!  I'm very busy for the next while but I'd like to talk more later.  Stay in touch, Kent

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

Fernando,

Sorry I don't have a copy of the sonata. If you could give me some further information on which register the notes appear or better yet send me a digital image (jpg, gif, png, etc.) of the passage I might have some suggestions.

Terry Ewell
Professor Bassoon, Towson University
Former President, IDRS
Former Principal Bassoon Hong Kong Philharmonic, Wheeling Symphony

To Terry,

The notes are all above the staff, going up to high D.

To Fernando,

I'm currently preparing the Maslanka Sonata for my masters recital in a few weeks.  Asking my teacher about that very passage, she recommended rearticulating on the second high G in the series and possibly on the high B, if needed.  Hope this helps.

KC

Of course, that was the simple solution.

KC

KC,

Listening to Per Hannevold's recording, it sounds as if he attacks every high B, and I tried that, and that eases a lot the passage. I tried reaticulating the high Gs, but I didn't like that because it doesn't fall in time, it falls either on the second and the fourth sixteenth of the passage, and that would feel like I'm getting out of sync with the piano.

Terry, I will scan the passage and post it in the next few days.... can I post scanned images in the forum?

Thanks,

Fernando

Also, I tried a fingering for the high G, that worked when I practiced slow, but didn't work when I played in tempo... anyways, here is the high G for this passage:

o x x  x o o
         b-flat

Hi Fernando:

For attaching images, click on "[img] tag: on" near the bottom of this page and it will give you instructions.  You will need to have the image hosted on another site for this to work.  Kent

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University