Topic: New "XM" oboe from howath info please

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has tried the new XM howarth oboe.  I was thinking about buying one, but I wanted to get some opinions from others before I took the time and investment to search for one.

Background-- currently play on an XL howarth oboe

Re: New "XM" oboe from howath info please

I have just bought one and I absolutely love it... It has totally changed my life in a matter of days. I previously had a very nice XL in kingwood but it was a bit old and played out.. this XM is getting water in the second octave key but I don't know if that is a quirk of brand new oboes and could be the weather conditions. I tried three and they were all quite different while having the essential qualities of all round reliability and stability of tone and evenness and fabulously smooth mechanism. Michael at Howarths said that there had been huge enthusiasm recently at an event where he was showing the oboes and more than half a dozen oboists you have heard of were very enthusiastic. The one I opted for has a wonderful quiet power and you can have so much confidence with long diminuendos and quiet entries. You can do so much with the tonal colours.. I have hardly started but i feel a huge potential in this instrument. I played a band concert last night and compared with playing in the orchestra you are up against a wall of sound but I could really feel my bits coming through. It penetrates and yet still stings. I tried a couple of Marigaux oboes at the same time which  were ok but nothing to compare with this. There are not many rolling off the production line so do not be in a hurry... worth serious investigation I would say but obviously no two oboists are the same. Good luck.

erratum: where I said stings I obviously meant sings!

I play on a XL rosewood or palisander Howarth and I tried a grenadilla XM - for me there is absolutely no reason to switch. Both are great instruments but the differences between the both models are not so very dramatic as advertised. Maybe I am not choosey enough. I think: 90% of the emotional output is the player, 5% is the reed, 5% is the instrument.

Last edited by Loyon (2014-10-16 13:27:09)