Topic: Woodwind Quartet (WW 5tet minus horn) Literature ideas?

Hi Everyone,
Our faculty quintet is down a horn player next semester. We have explored a lot of quintet literature over the last few years as well as some trios. We are looking to quartets (woodwind quartet) next semester.

What are some standards? I am pretty well-versed in chamber literature, but ww4et is one of my weaknesses.

I of course use Trevco as my main source.

Thoughts?  Merry Christmas to everyone and safe travels!

Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

Re: Woodwind Quartet (WW 5tet minus horn) Literature ideas?

There is a lovely quartet by Frank Bridge. Also:
Bozza, 3 pieces pour une musique de nuit
Malcolm Arnold, Divertimento
Francaix, Quartet
Villa-Lobos, Quartet
Roger Vogel, Winter Winds
Adrian Childs, Shadows Numberless

I miss my ww4!

Shawn, in addition to the fine works mentioned by Cory, you may wish to reference the two CDs I did with University of Georgia faculty some years ago:
Ball, L. et al. (2004). Sunlight and Shadows: Woodwind Quartets by University of Georgia Composers. [CD]. Atlanta: ACA Digital. Works by Childs and Vogel (in Cory's rely), Ball, Corina and Nielson.
And
Berger, A. et al. (2001). American Masterworks for Woodwind Quartet [CD]. Atlanta: ACA Digital. Works by Berger, Carter, Etler, Harris and Hartley.

Best wishes and Happy New Year to all!
Dwight Manning

Dr. Dwight Manning
Teachers College, Columbia University
Box 97 525 West 120th St. New York, NY 10027
212-678-8252  <dm2723@tc.columbia.edu>

Shawn, Some great suggestions from responders so far. There is a LOT of music for the "pure" (!) woodwind quartet. You can consider a program with duos, trios (even a solo piece) along with quartets. Best wishes, Christopher Weait

Christopher Weait,
Principal bassoon, Toronto Symphony (1968 - 1985)
IDRS Honorary Member; Emeritus professor Ohio State University
www.weaitmusic.com

Hi Shawn, have a look at www.wonderfulwinds.com. There's a great woodwind 4tet for advanced players on the mixed wind page - Mambo Cienfuegos by Alfie Pugh, a young British composer.

If you have two hornless quintets you could try his arrangement of Night on the Bare Mountain for ww octet!!

Best wishes,
Anna Cooper