Topic: Bassoonist in need of High A/Bb bridge key

I am currently in the process of trying to locate a high A bridge mechanism that I can install/ remove myself.  Does anyone know of a company that I can either go through directly or who uses a dealer where I can find this part?

Re: Bassoonist in need of High A/Bb bridge key

I sell these keys for $75.  They screw on the whisper key.  The instructions for the key are below.
The Womble/Williams A-Whisper Key Bridge Key is designed to prevent “double venting” when using the A key for venting, either in flicking or playing notes that involve the A key such as high A and Bb.  Because the whisper key closes using this key the notes involved are more centered and flatter in pitch because the notes are vented only from the A key and not both A and Whisper Key.
The Womble/Williams A-Whisper Key Bridge Key is a removable key that is mounted on the bassoon’s whisper key rod by two screws.
To mount the key first disassemble the key by unscrewing the two screws.  Carefully place the key on the whisper key rod, loosely reinstall the two screws and position the key on the rod so that the key touches the top part of the A key.
Tighten the two screws so that the key just touches the A key when the whisper key is open.  When the A key is pushed open the whisper key should close.  The further up on the A key the A-Whisper key touches the more effective the closer will be.
It may be necessary to bend the A-Whisper Key connection to get proper closer.  Be careful not the bend the key at the “hinge” (where the key thins out) but try to round the key as bending it just where it becomes thin could cause the key to break.
Good luck with the key.  If you have any questions about this please do not hesitate to contact me.
Bob Williams

Re: Bassoonist in need of High A/Bb bridge key

If you want references, I have installed three of these from Bob and they are great. The price is also excellent. Follow the instructions carefully, our contra player, although being very intelligent and an excellent bassoonist, over complicated things and installed it incorrectly. I removed all of his extra corks and tape, positioned it correctly and it works beautifully. I have a Heckel bridge on my horn and I do not feel a difference in the action.

Principal bassoonist, Orquesta Sinfonica de Galicia, A Coruña, Spain. Bassoonist, bassoon dad, bassoon husband, bassoon uncle, bassoon brother and bassoon son.