Topic: Endurance

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum.  I have been playing oboe for around 18 months.  I try to practice daily but I am an adult learner with a full time career (not in music) so it doesn't always happen.  How long will it take before my embrochure is developed enough to play for longer than 30 minutes?  Occasionally I can stretch out to 45min, but by then I am overblowing the high notes and all of my notes are shaky, horrible and really sharp, even if I started off at the correct pitch!  The worse thing is, unless I have my virtual piano open on the computer, I don't even realise I'm getting sharp, until I check the note I finish on with the piano.  It's terrible!  Even after 25 years of violin playing, I can't hear that I'm getting sharp when I play by myself.

Any endurance tips or reassurance, or am I doing it wrong?!

Re: Endurance

I suspect one of the answers you get will be to warm up with the dreaded long tones, which I'm sure applies to oboe as it does to bassoon. Eighteen months is not a long time to have been playing, especially if as a string player this is you first wind instrument. I assume you do have a teacher who will be able to guide you in the right direction. Good luck, and welcome to the world of double reeds!

David Bell
Alexandria, VA

David Bell
Alexandria, VA
amateur bassoon and contra bassoon

Wow, from yet another bassoonist point of view, a well balanced reed, light, but not too light can help a tired mouth. Good air support and proper breathing can really help a tired embouchure, a proper embouchure is important. On bassoon using your embouchure and not clamping with your teeth helps stabilize the sound. Long tones sound good and 18 months isn't a long time. Think of ( or listen to), what a kid playing the oboe for 18 months sounds like, you'll feel better. Your better tuned adult ear has higher expectations, which is both an advantage and disadvantage, don't lose heart.

Principal bassoonist, Orquesta Sinfonica de Galicia, A Coruña, Spain. Bassoonist, bassoon dad, bassoon husband, bassoon uncle, bassoon brother and bassoon son.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies!  I played the trumpet and french horn back in high school, but I haven't really touched these since 1997.  The trumpet I lost interest in, and the horn I never owned so I had to give it back to the school.  So my lip for those instruments would be gone.  I'm sure I could whip out low notes on a trumpet, but the french horn would be wobbling all over the place.

I do have a teacher.  Darn I figured you were going to say long notes... its amazing that long notes on this instrument are so difficult, yet you can play a semiquaver passage once you learn the fingering.

Marydoob - I just watched 11 year old Yeonsu on youtube playing the oboe... she makes me want to quit in shame!  I wonder if they put any non-prodigy kids up on youtube playing oboe...

EDIT - ok, I just found one, confidence improving...

Last edited by Beano (2014-04-15 00:54:43)