Topic: Help Needed!!!

Hi,
I am a student oboe player and have never used a oboe shaper tip before but am looking to get one. I don't really know what is out there and need help to choose the right one. I love to play romantic and modern music and I use chudnow staples (hopefully some of that information would help).

Thanks,
Jonathan

Re: Help Needed!!!

david weber has a great shaper tip. it is model 1-c and i find it very easy to make reeds on. the cane shaped on it provides and excellent and fairly quick way to make reeds. some may make better reeds but this is produces very consistant high quality reeds quickly which always comes in handy. good luck in your search
~Joe

Hi oboejoe,
I have a question about your Weber 1C. Do you have any trouble with flatness?  The reason I'm asking is that the 1C is a fairly wide tip (about 7.0mm at the top) and while I really like the sound I get with my 1C, it also really depends on having a good strong gouge to keep up the pitch in the high register. Do you use 47mm tubes or something shorter?
I wish there were something between the 1B (6.88mm) and the 1C.
Best wishes,
-Woody

The 1C shape works very well for oboes that are correctly tuned in the upper register. The instrament i use is a howarth and the upper register is is reliably in tune with little extra effort. However if you use a loree oboe or something similar it might be to your advantage to buy a narrower shape to keep the upper register in tune. But i would first make sure the gouge is right before buying all the extras.
Hope i could help

Before buying a new shaper tip, it could be a good idea to buy some shaped cane from one of the many sellers of cane shaped to some standard shapes such as RDG 1 and -2 to see if they suit you in sound, pitch, and response.  I've used the RDG -2 shape with a Loree for many years and found that I like the sound, the pitch, and the stability.  With narrower shapes, I seem to have more instabilities as the reed ages.

In any event, you will probably find that you will end up with more than one shaper tip as you progress.  Good luck!