Topic: Cane source?

Has anyone found a good source for shaped (only) Bassoon cane?  I'm looking for some decently gouged Fox#2 Shaped cane to try before I go buy a new Shaper.  I guess I'm rather picky..I'd like cane that is gouged about 1.2-1.25mm..equal thickness on both ends (OK--pretty egual) and is of reasonably eccentric gouge.  Not interested in Profiled cane at all, I am very happy with my old Mark Popkin Profiler, and have a Rieger/Rieger Tip Profiler I like almost as well.  By the way, I have found a wonderful source for Gouged Cane...Best Bassoon Cane run by Herr Wisse in Denmark (?).  Several plantations to choose from, very consistent Gouge, they take PayPal so I don't have to worry about Euro conversion.  I strongly recommend them.  Thanks

Frank Watson
Spartanburg Philharmonic Orchestra
Converse College Petrie School of Music

Re: Cane source?

Hello Frank,

I can sell shaped cane that is on a Fox 2 shaper as that is what I sell and use for my GSP cane.  The gouged cane is $3 a stick, shaped would be $3.50 and GSP is $4 so I would consider it worth it to go with GSP for .50 more.

Bob Williams

Re: Cane source?

175 views and only Bob Williams has replied?  What are we, a bunch of secretive oboists?  LOL