Topic: Dial indicator anvil causing inaccurate measurements on back of blade.

I did a post-mortem on a reed today, which included separating the two blades and checking the thicknesses with each blade flush against the dial indicator pin, and I was surprised to find that on the back third of the blade, my Rieger dial indicator has been inflating the thickness measurements by as much as 10 (metric).

From what I can tell, this is caused by the blade not laying flush against the anvil, and no amount of fidgeting or adjusting on my part seems to be able to fix this.

I purchased a replacement anvil from Miller Marketing, which is a very thin cylinder instead of the wide, thick, flat tongue on the Rieger, but the problem there is that the anvil is so thin, it bends, which again throws off the numbers.

Does anyone either know of a solution that would render the Rieger more accurate in this regard, or of another machine I could replace it with?

Re: Dial indicator anvil causing inaccurate measurements on back of blade.

Is the other pin you bought the Winstead?  And that one is too flexible? 

I have a homemade dial indicator that I think is quite good and gives accurate measurements but I have always wondered what another one like the Rieger would be like.  I have worried about those large wide tongues and the points that are too blunt.  The point on the Rieger looks nice and "sharp" but it sounds like the tongue is too wide and the Winstead is too thin.  I wonder if there is one available that is a good compromise.  Mine is bent up at the tip and perhaps that helps.

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

Yep, it's the Winstead. I definitely found it to be too flexible. I'm curious about these other dial indicators, like Reeds n' Stuff, etc.

I have the Reeds N Stuff for my school and it too has a pretty wide pin and the point is quite blunt.  I like my own a lot better.  I didn't make it.  My former teacher, K. David Van Hoesen, made it for me.  He was really good at these things.

Dr. Kent Moore

This one is inexpensive and I just ordered one for my school.  I am not sure it will be much better.  But once I try it I will let you know how it compares.

http://www.mdreedproducts.com/products.html

Dr. Kent Moore