Topic: Appropriate Tenor Clef Studies

At least in my experience there seems to be a gap in good literature on teaching the tenor clef for younger bassoonists. The Weissenborn barely introduces it and just expects you to play in it, and solo rep that I know of is mostly the same: quite technically difficult when entering the tenor clef. Diving head first into cold water.

Any good books/methods that incorporate tenor clef at a reasonable pace for a player in middle school? For a kid that is still working out fingerings maybe, but has needs to play to high Bb and seeing some tenor clef?

What's out there?

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Re: Appropriate Tenor Clef Studies

Introducing the Tenor Clef by Reginald Fink is the book I used myself and I use for my students who are advanced enough to learn tenor clef.

Bryan Cavitt
Bassoonist, Twin City Concert Band; Bassoon Dad

Re: Appropriate Tenor Clef Studies

Doug Spaniol's new edition of the Weissenborn includes a lot more tenor clef. Meanwhile you can use the old one to teach it by having students play the early lessons converted to TC. Past a sticky note over the clef sign and add one sharp (or subtract one flat) to each bass clef key signature.

Christopher Weait,
Principal bassoon, Toronto Symphony (1968 - 1985)
IDRS Honorary Member; Emeritus professor Ohio State University
www.weaitmusic.com