Topic: Playing outdoors

I have an outdoor concert tonight but the HIGH temperature today is supposed to be low 60's. My guess is when we play outdoor temp will be in 50's. What temperature is safe to play your bassoon outdoors?

Re: Playing outdoors

If you have a plastic bassoon it may not work because the plastic shrinks at a greater rate then the metal keys and your keys may bind!  Your instrument will want to play flat because it is built to play at A 440 at 72 degrees Fahrenheit!  The other problem is that you will get a great deal of water in the bore as the bocal works as a still  and your warm breath with fully saturated air will really cause  problems with water.  I don't think you would have to worry about cracking the instrument as oboe and clarinet players do.  Use a short bocal and sharp reed and you should be okay!  Don't forget to swab out often!

Bob Williams

Re: Playing outdoors

If you have a plastic bassoon it may not work because the plastic shrinks at a greater rate then the metal keys and your keys may bind!  Your instrument will want to play flat because it is built to play at A 440 at 72 degrees Fahrenheit!  The other problem is that you will get a great deal of water in the bore as the bocal works as a still  and your warm breath with fully saturated air will really cause  problems with water.  I don't think you would have to worry about cracking the instrument as oboe and clarinet players do.  Use a short bocal and sharp reed and you should be okay!  Don't forget to swab out often!

Bob Williams