Topic: Loree EH. Extremely flat upper Bb and B natural???? Puzzling

Hi everyone,
I have a student who had a loree EH in to the repair shop recently. Nothing major except a binding C#. Repair person is well-trusted and great with double reeds.

Since it has returned my student is now playing VERY flat on upper Bb and B natural (above staff 2nd octave key notes) It's my reed so I know the reed is in tune with itself.

Hiniker bocal; wired reed; no cracks; octave keys height checked (not too high). I tried the horn myself tonight and it's almost a half step flat only on those specific notes.  Also tried three different reeds...same issue.

I feel like I have checked all routes and am not finding the problem. Am I missing something obvious? I tried the bocal and reed on my horn with no issues. This all starts after the C# fix. To my knowledge no reading of the bore was done in any way.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I feel stupid on this one since I cannot pinpoint the problem.

Shawn

Last edited by Oboehotty (2014-09-17 18:51:01)

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

Re: Loree EH. Extremely flat upper Bb and B natural???? Puzzling

Maybe you've already found an answer, but here is my 2 cents…

I assume you meant the articulated C# key on the second joint was sticking and fixed—not the c# trill key on the upper joint, correct? If so, it seems (as you probably surmised) that the fix to that is unlikely to have caused the issue, at least not directly.
Maybe sitting in the shop or something while it was waiting, but not the actual fix to the C# key. To verify, how do those notes play
using just the reed, bocal, and top joint? You'll have to manually trigger the side lever for the Bb, but they should be in tune.
If so, then there's nothing related directly to the C# key I can think of.

If it is isolated to the top joint, the consider the fact that the C# was touched as just a coincindence, at least for now. As I said, it may be peripherally related, but shouldn't have been the direct cause. Unfortunately, all of my guesses on this would not affect JUST the upper B & Bb, but is it possible other notes are affected and you just don't notice it as much? My guesses of places to check would be a clogged 2nd octave (use a wire or get the octave vent removed & cleaned); I would think this would affect 2nd octave A & C more than B/Bb, but it's as good a guess as any. Other than that the "A" tone hole or the vent key on the side (the one that's not on the oboe) could be clogged (or stuck in the latter case). This would likely affect B/Bb, but it should also affect "A" and in both regiesters as well. Same comment as the previous.

If it behaves properly with the second joint off, then post back as I don't have any ideas yet but maybe someone else will.-kby

Yes, the articulated c# on the right hand is the key tomthink I was referring.

I have tried different reeds, bocals,,with wire,,without, etc. all play very flat on only the B and Bb above the staff (2nd octave key). Octave vents were removed and cleaned when the C# was fixed. All very baffling. It's not my horn, thank goodness. It's a schools.

Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

And if you try to isolate things to the top joint (per my previous post—just use the top joint for the B and use the side key by hand to get the Bb)?-kby

You didn't mention octave vents were removed and cleaned in your initial post. Check there.