Topic: Françaix L'horloge de Flore - arrangement for wind band?

I have been actively searching for a wind band arrangement of Jean Françaix's oboe concerto L'horloge de Flore, and unfortunately have not had any luck. Does anyone know if such an arrangement exists, and if so, where I could find it?

Re: Françaix L'horloge de Flore - arrangement for wind band?

I seem to remember doing the same search years ago and one obscure arrangement came up. However I don't remember where or who it was by.

You might try checking with the major service bands in D.C. As they often have in house arrangers with unpublished arrangements of MANY concertos. If you have a connection with someone in in one of them, often they can get you a copy to borrow.

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

The US Marine Band is playing this piece on their concert on Sunday Jan. 18th at 2pm in Alexandria, VA., so someone has definitely arranged it for wind ensemble.  (They are webcasting some shows, but I don't see any evidence of it with this show at this time.)

MOZART
|
Overture to
The Magic Flute
K. 620
FRANÇAIX
|
L’Horloge de Flore (Flower Clock)
(1959)
Staff Sgt. Trevor Mowry, oboe soloist
SCHOENBERG
|
Finding Rothko
(2006)
BEETHOVEN
|
Symphony No. 5 in C minor, Opus 6

The soloist is Trevor Mowry who plays oboe in the Marine Band.

The collection of music on this concert celebrates “colors” in music, from Jean Francaix’s musical interpretation of the flower clocks found in many famous  gardens throughout the world to vivid sound impressions of the paintings of Mark Rothko from the talented American composer Adam Schoenberg. Added to the palette are two vibrant works by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Ludwig van Beethoven that are as “primary” to the classical repertoire as red, yellow, and blue.

Here is the location of the concert.
http://www.nvcc.edu/alexandria/schlesingercenter/

Last edited by delmar (2015-01-09 11:06:04)

deleted

Last edited by delmar (2015-01-13 11:47:42)

Most of the time with the military bands, they are in-house staff arrangers. They are typically not commercially available and hard to get.  If you "know someone" you can sometimes obtain a copy.

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)