Topic: Werner bassoon?

A new student just showed me a Werner bassoon. Anyone know what it is? I've never heard of it. Is it a stencil instrument? What is its reputation?

Post's attachments

wernerbellsmall.JPG 39.11 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Werner bassoon?

Wil-

Do you have any other photos of the instrument? Hard to try to decipher what it may be without looking at the keywork and other body sections.

Cordially,
Chad

Taylor Bassoon Services
723 Steamboat Ct
Ottawa, IL 61350
PH-815-343-2492

Here is a second photo.

I'll try to get more next time.

Post's attachments

wernerserialnumber.JPG 29.29 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Hey Wil-

This is definitely a Kohlert that was made in Winnenden Germany. The serial number stamping is a dead giveaway.

Hope that helps, any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me privately.

Cordially,
Chad

Taylor Bassoon Services
723 Steamboat Ct
Ottawa, IL 61350
PH-815-343-2492

Thanks, Chad. It's been in a closet for a long time, so it needs some work. I'm looking forward to finding out how good it is.

Some of the Winnenden Kohlerts can be pretty good horns. When I was in college i had a Winnenden Kohlert with a stencil name on it. It wasnt bad. I think with alot of those instruments they can be somewhat hit and miss since they were so highly mass produced and it was primarily about volume and not always about quality.

Hope it turns out to be a good one for your students sake.

CT

Taylor Bassoon Services
723 Steamboat Ct
Ottawa, IL 61350
PH-815-343-2492

My first bassoon I played until my junior year in college was a Polisi with that same stamping on it.  Wasn't a bad bassoon!

Mark Ortwein
Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra
OrtweinWoodwinds.com

Funny you should mention that -- this instrument is in a Polisi case. For a few seconds I assumed that the bassoon was a Polisi, until I noticed that it was missing the characteristic Polisi keyword. Then I noticed the stencil.

Thanks for the input. I'm glad I'm hearing good things about these instruments. The only Kohlerts I've played are very old flattop models. They were charming in their own way.

Mark, I have fond memories of that Polisi you mentioned.  Mr. Polisi himself picked it out.  A2 was a bit sharp, however....

Happy Bassooning!

Haha - I did buy it from my first teacher, Jon Beebe!

Mark Ortwein
Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra
OrtweinWoodwinds.com