Topic: Quiet City -- English hornist identities!

Hi Everyone,
Happy New Year! I am performing Quiet City in a few weeks and am collecting several recordings. I have found that there are obviously many recordings, but rarely do any of them list who the English hornist is on that particular recording.

Is there a resource for this? I have gone deep into websites and album information to figure this out and none are listed -- very frustrating.

I would love to find the Tom Stacey recording. Also, does anyone know if Russ (deLuna) has recorded it with SF and MTT? (Russ...if you are reading this do you have a recording?)

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks --
Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

Re: Quiet City -- English hornist identities!

Hi Shawn, according to WorldCat Tom Stacy (watch the spelling when you search) recorded the Copland Quiet City in Dec. 1985 with Bernstein and the NY Phil in Avery Fisher Hall http://www.worldcat.org/title/third-sym … ef_results

Michael Tilson Thomas recorded it with the London Symphony in the 1990s but it does't seem that Russ DeLuna has released a recording yet.

If you search for the specific piece on WorldCat and filter for recordings, the solo performers are often unlisted as you wrote. Its a pity that the solo trumpeter is listed more frequently than the solo English horninst.

I'm sure your audience will appreciate the fresh interpretation that you and your colleagues will offer rather than re-hearing an interpretation from one of the available recordings.

Let us know how it goes!
Dwight

Dr. Dwight Manning
Teachers College, Columbia University
Box 97 525 West 120th St. New York, NY 10027
212-678-8252  <dm2723@tc.columbia.edu>

Re: Quiet City -- English hornist identities!

Thanks Dwight. I ended up finding that very recording of Tom Stacy and NY on Spotify...great find! Thanks for the well-wishes.

Shawn

Last edited by Oboehotty (2015-01-05 20:19:45)

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)