Topic: Qualities and Lengths of Various Oboe Staples

Dear Members,

I have recently been experimenting with different types of staples.  Considering that the bore of the staple is the beginning of the bore of the oboe, I am sure that the staple is more important than I previously considered.  The staples I have always used seemed fine, but then I tried a few Sierra tubes that I liked better, as they were slightly narrower at the tip. creating a slightly narrower, longer blank if tied just at the point the cane seals around the tube.  This seemed to create a different effect than using just a slightly narrower shape.

I have noticed that some of the tube brands are very big at the tip and I have never liked these, as the reeds turn out to be too aggressive for my taste, and then unstable when I try to calm them down.

I am also wondering what advantages oboists have found to various lengths of tubes.  I have always used 47mm but am reconsidering, although will only change one variable at a time to keep sanity.

. . .still trying to figure it out after more than 30 years of ups and downs  . . . . .

Henry G
Downingtown, PA

Re: Qualities and Lengths of Various Oboe Staples

Well, I'd like to hear answers to this, as well.  I'm somewhat of a novice at reed making - actually been trying off and on for years, but not with enough consistency to figure out what I'm doing wrong.  In exploring new items (new to me) one source has chudnow staples - brass, silver and gold, with the 2 rings, and labelled "E"  and "S".  I know nothing about these - having never had anything other than cork on brass , so am wondering if anyone can fill me in on the goods, bads, betters, problems, etc of these different types.   Thanks to whomever has the time and inclination to respond.

I asked similar questions awhile back. you can probably find more threads if you search for staples in the forum. Here's my thread: http://www.doublereed.org/IDRSBBS/viewtopic.php?id=7998

E means excavated its the skinny weird looking chudnow staple, s means solid, looks like a regular staple but all metal.
I use the solid S sometimes, I find the cane seals extremely well on these, who knows why, I hear a little zing in the sound, not really a buzz, but it cant be heard from afar.
I am trying loree 47mm silver staples filed down to  46.5, they are very well made but I always found the little tiny opening scary, this helps me deal with that and so far I think I am liking them, could be just luck but I made 2 great reeds right off the bat with this new experiment.
Good luck and when all else fails, have a beer and then continue.....

or since you are in Mexico City....a good shot of tequila!!  Welcome to the forum, Marcia!!

Last edited by delmar (2011-05-17 20:04:43)

delmar, thanks!  Tequila, beer, whatever, see you in Phoenix! I am going this year.